Ideal tour camera...

Discussion in 'Photography' started by cpunk, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Any thoughts on the ideal tour camera? On my last one I had a Nikon D100 with a mid range zoom but wasn't entirely happy with it - I don't think it enjoyed the heat. Next time I go, I'm planning to revert to film: less temperamental and I suspect the pictures will be more stable. Thoughts?

2. I used a Olympus 850 SW on H9, and it's coming back with me on H13. Tough, totally waterproof, decent pics, small, reliable. Can't comment on ability in heat though - winter tour.

T

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you are intending to use film and already have Nikkor lenses the Nikon F5 is an absolute beauty and available for about £380-£450 depending on condition. It's reckoned to be the best film action/sports camera ever made.

Or if you're still near any of them, ask one of the CCT's what they'd suggest!

5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Agreed, I own two F5's and they're spiffing. Realistically, more like £250 for a top class example now.

6. Agreed! I took mine on T12 and it worked fine even in very hot weather. i left it out on the bonnet of a LR for ten minutes and it still was fine. I'd stay digital nowadays, less bulk and you dont have to wait to get processed.

7. Contax T series?

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Well if you want to sell at that price..... :-D

Grey's have them at £395 for the cheapest and the lowest Ebay I've seen is £299!

Aren't you going to take one of those then?

9. Remember what happened to the Fusilier from Warwickshire when he took his films in to get processed?
    Digital saves a lot of bother

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I got one off Ebay for £202 with MN-30 battery and charger, in minty-ish cosmetic condition - although it hadn't been used for ages and needed a service to get it firing on all cylinders. Ffordes have had them around £199 IIRC though in well used condition (Ffordes are excellent for used gear, btw). Yes, I might well take one on tour.

11. Try getting one of the polycarbonate covers for a DSLR. Camera Armor (spam spelling) is one of the companies that offer them. I have no affililation to them or Warehouse Express who stock them - so mods, delete if inapprorpiate. Costs range from about £25 and are available for Canon and NIkon.

12. I'd recommend watch keeper

[​IMG]

13. d700, d300, as for the d100 struggling in the heat they do suffer, however film stock has a short shelf life, if you go through professional suppliers you get an extended shelf life though places like jessops will send you end of range stock. stick with digital lot less bother, plus optimum storage temp for film is -18c .

d700 and d300 are your best bets, d700 does video also. keep away from d5000, d90 and d60, too basic if you are used to d100. There is anew nikon released last week the d7000, not tried it yet.

14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

D700 or D300? not sure I'd be too sanguine about taking a camera costing that much with me.

15. g10 then looks like point and shoot, photographs like a high end slr