Id required for this webbing pouch

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, May 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have told this yank that its commonwelth but not 37 pattern because it has a 44 type fastener and a belt loop on the back. It doesnt look like 44 pattern because it only has one set of belt clips. Ideas please, I'm sure General Melchett will have a clue!
  2. strange that..

Looks more like some kind of white 58 pat pouch..

But then again, I'm only a sprog! 8)
  3. Aye, a pouch of some sort, 1914 utility pouch ?
  4. Maybe i'm being an absolute numpty but is it not a 58 pattern ammo pouch?

Certainly, the fastening at the front and the attachments at the back look the same.

I've just realised i'm a right sad bastd....

Off out to get a life!
  5. looks like a blancoed '58 pattern water bottle pouch, an ammo pouch would have the loop at the top for the yoke to go through
  6. It's not '58 (the belt hooks are too low down, and the ammo pouches had a schermuley pocket and bayonet frog on).

Looks like a '44 pattern waterbottle pouch (although I mostly saw them with a twist closure). It looks green blanco'd white...

It's not likely any sort of ammo pouch as there aren't any yoke/strap attachments.
  7. That's a very blunt pencil, and those trainers :shock: could do with a bit of work too. ;)
  8. '44 pattern ammo pouch. Here's a photo of a 1st pattern version, though the fastener is slightly different:

9. Ugly,

General Melchett will know. It looks very similar to some webbing i recovered on a job and sent up to a mutual friend in Catterick.
  10. it's a 37 pattern drivers' pouch.
  11. Must be bigger than it looks, to be able to fit a driver in it!
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

1. You've never seen a Schermuly.
    2. You've never seen an Energa.
  13. I think you're getting close, but suggests that the 37 pattern has a belt loop, rather than hooks.

Even the '44 pattern MT pouch has belt loops ( ), so it could be a '44 pattern right pouch (1st pattern - single row of belt hooks) with the top buckle removed.

Still guessing, mind.
  14. My guess is that it's a MK.3 Ammunition pouch of '37 Pattern, with the brace attachment removed.

I'm not 100% on when the Mk.3 was introduced (1945-1946?), but have seen versions with both blackened steel, and brass fitments that look very similar to Ugly's.
  15. Eureka, the lads a feckin genius!

Ugly, I assume theres a fair degree of glare from the camera flash and that its not quite as white as it appears.