ID of unit.

This photo is of Mrs Rocket best friends Father, who served in WW2. Anyone got any idea what unit he might be part of from the collar badges?
She's having trouble trying to get Information.
image1.jpeg

Royal Engineers by the look of it.
The collar badges are as per the RA but with two additional short flames in the centre, the RA would have the crowned gun as a button design rather than the RE's name and crowned garter containing the GRvi cypher. The RA would have the gun badge in the Field Service Cap, giving way to the grenade collar badge instead during WWII, this appears to be the "circular" RE badge of crowned garter, cypher, laurel wreath etc.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fusilier of some kind. No idea which.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Impossible to tell without greater detail of the buttons really. The collar dogs for the RA and RE are pretty much same-same, and the details of the flames etc. varied according to the production. Push comes to shove, I'd say that he was a Sapper, just because what little you make of his cap badge.

The collar badges are as per the RA but with two additional short flames in the centre, the RA would have the crowned gun as a button design rather than the RE's name and crowned garter containing the GRvi cypher. The RA would have the gun badge in the Field Service Cap, giving way to the grenade collar badge instead during WWII, this appears to be the "circular" RE badge of crowned garter, cypher, laurel wreath etc.
RE cap badge, collar badge and button.

Edit to add crop of the original photo.
Not that I've achieved a lot with that.

Attachments

Last edited:
RE as stated by @1&12 .
Capbadge definitely looks rounded (RE) rather than RA (all over the place).
Blow up the bomb and it has 9 flames (and the UBIQUE) scroll.

ETA Fusiliers mi arse.
Also, that uniform looks rather pre-war, or at least, very early WW2.

Last edited:
Thanks gents, the verdict seems to be RE, I must admit when I first looked, I thought Fusiliers. But I didn't think Fusiliers wore side hats.
I blew up the top button to me it looks like the Prince of Wales sign. The flour de what'sacallit.
There really are some talented people out there. Cheers.

Last edited:
For comparison the RA gun cap badge, collar (and Field Service Cap) badge and button.
Also the small grenade badge worn in a variety of roles by various units as rank, cap, shoulder title, and fusilier collar badge.
It was worn on the collar by all or most fusilier regiments at various times, in later years notably by Lancashire Fusiliers and Royal Welch Fusiliers

Attachments

Thanks gents, the verdict seems to be RE, I must admit when I first looked, I thought Fusiliers. But I didn't think Fusiliers wore side hats.
I blew up the top button to me it looks like the Prince of Wales sign. The flour de what'sacallit.
There really are some talented people out there. Cheers.
Just for info, fusiliers did wear those side caps.

RE as stated by @1&12 .
Capbadge definitely looks rounded (RE) rather than RA (all over the place).
Blow up the bomb and it has 9 flames (and the UBIQUE) scroll.

ETA Fusiliers mi arse.
Also, that uniform looks rather pre-war, or at least, very early WW2.
That's what I thought. Looks like WW1 (1902?) pattern service dress.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Despite the posts that follow, I think you have it dead correct!