Id of mess dress please?!

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Al2012, Feb 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening,

My sister and I have inherited this set of mess dress from a late Grandfather, does anyone know which Regiment/Corps it relates to?

We believe that he was initially in the artillery, but then moved to the pay corps. as well as progressing from soldier through to Major, so could come from a range of places?!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. I dont recognise it as anything current, but then I dont claim to know every unit out there. The Brass like buttons on the cuffs should have his cap badge on, if you can post a close up of those then it will be easy.....
  3. Looks very RCT-ish. Possibly its earlier incarnation: RASC?
  4. Click here

It appears to be for a Major in the Rhodesia and Nyasaland Army Pay Corps
  5. Good find, that man.
  6. Good spot! Photos taken on the auction website are taken in the same location as the OP's pics. Even the same coathanger.

What gives, Al2012? It's a shame I'm not allowed to call you a shifty **** on this part of the website.
  7. Someone should try wearing it at a function and see how much interest it raises.
  8. I'm not sure they are the same. The cuff buttons on the auction site are further apart.
  9. Thanks for the posts, I promise I'm not selling, this was my Grandfather's and he did serve in Rhodesia. I was just unsure from which aspect of his career this uniform was associated with.

Had a look at the buttons and they do say Fide et Fiducia - motto of the Pay Corps (should have looked there first maybe!?)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. your full of crock,

I hope you never had to do any CTRs in your service, there are more differences than I can be arsed mentioning
  11. Defo pay corps
  12. Please don't bully new members.
  13. I don't know how to tell you this. It's a 1949 pattern British Rail Lavatory Attendant's No 1 dress uniform. These were the blokes who worked in the first class khazis at railway stations handing out little bars of soap and towels.

Looks like your grandad was a walt.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That's a shame, but then, better than a lot of things he could have done with his time!

Did they not offer first class cologne for the discerning gentleman as well, or did that only arrive in 1952?
  15. sorry was that a red card or yellow card you just showed me? I am a bit out of touch with recruit training practices these days