ID medal ribbon

Gents,

Having become bored of the family chat by this point I started rooting through boxes of old stuff and came across a relatives ribbon bar. Now I know of the victory medal and war medal. But can anyone ID the third one on the right? ImageUploadedByARRSE1356469345.673922.jpg

Many thanks

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Looks like the GSM 1919.

Nope, for then the WW1 medals would be out of sequence like wot Llech said!

I thought it might be the GSM 1919 - 1962 at first, but the proportions of the ribbon don't look right. The green stripe is too wide whereas the outer purple stripes are too narrow.

Yep - It's the Afghan medal. I have my great, great grandfather's medal with clasp "Ahmed Khel" (1880) and the ribbon is exactly the same.

Not really. There was no separate medal for the Third Afghan War (1919). Participents got a clasp to the India GSM. If correct the only explanation for the rack would be if he served at least from 1880 to 1915.

Not really. There was no separate medal for the Third Afghan War (1919). Participents got a clasp to the India GSM. If correct the only explanation for the rack would be if he served at least from 1880 to 1915.
Not the only explanation. He may have been called up again for WWI.

As regards the medals being in the 'wrong' order, the method of placing medals changed, so what was correct at the time may seem wrong to us.

Back to the drawing board then. That doesn't fit the story of any of my relatives that I know. One a pre war territorial, himself in the RGA and a 3rd in a service battalion in France(whose 1914-1915 service bible I've found is very interesting, amazing notes in the margins!)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope, for then the WW1 medals would be out of sequence like wot Llech said!

I thought it might be the GSM 1919 - 1962 at first, but the proportions of the ribbon don't look right. The green stripe is too wide whereas the outer purple stripes are too narrow.
There was greater variance in pre-WW2 ribbon manufacture/tailoring, with ribbon bars being locally produced by tailors as gents used to wear them on any kind of uniform coat. Given the sequence and colours, I'd wager it's meant to represent the 1918 GSM.

Yep - It's the Afghan medal. I have my great, great grandfather's medal with clasp "Ahmed Khel" (1880) and the ribbon is exactly the same.
The 2nd Afghan War medal had crimson borders and a paler green centre.

It may be a bar that belongs to a great uncle. Served in India in the RGA during the war including Afghanistan 1918-1919 so that would fit.
As stated above by another poster, all campaigns in Afghanistan and the NW Frontier between the World Wars were represented by clasps on the Indian GSM. The IGSM 1909-1936 had a similar(ish) ribbon to the GSM 1918, but with the colours reversed.

My bet would be that it's supposed to be the GSM 1918 for one of the campaigns in the Middle East that followed WW1; Persia, Iraq, Kurdistan etc.

Maybe there was a lack of rules and this ended up with some variation in them when it came to different people / Regiments and ribbon orders? I know that during the late 1800's and early 1900's many Police and St John's who received medals for the Jubilee's and Coronation had to mount them themselves. Maybe this was the case here? Lets face it, we live in the world of the internet and can easily acccess the correct list for the orders of medals, but still people come on here and ask!

But personally I think it's the 1918 GSM. I know I had to ask on here one time about a 1897 Jubilee medal I have and the ribbon looked slightly different to other's I'd seen on the internet (but the same as some others). Someone kindly pointed out to me that it about 100 years ago there was around 4 different companies making medal ribbons, so the sizing of the stripes / lines wasn't always the same. The colours don't seem to have faded too much and seem too far off for the Afghanistan medal.

Edited to add: Sorry RP - was typing probably at the same time as you! But I see you agree with the different tailoring styles bit!

In order they are:

The British War Medal 1914-1920
The Victory Medal 1914-1919
The General Service Medal 1918-1962

As identified using the The Medal Year Book 2006

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Medals 18
seanbean Medals 4
C Medals 4