ID Churchill's cap badge

Can anyone ID Churchill's cap badge? Cheers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
He served in a Yeomanry regiment. I seem to remember reading here that during the second one, the CO was dischuffed that any order he gave might be overruled by one of his reserve majors.

Edit. Take off the scroll, it looks like a typical light dragoons badge (see Light Dragoons), which I think supports this.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
He served in a Yeomanry regiment. I seem to remember reading here that during the second one, the CO was dischuffed that any order he gave might be overruled by one of his reserve majors.

Edit. Take off the scroll, it looks like a typical light dragoons badge (see Light Dragoons), which I think supports this.
I had Oxford in my head. Like other (but not all) hussar regiments (regular and yeomanry), probably raised as light dragoons.

He was also head(?) Honorary flight chappy of Oxford RAF OTC, Ex Sea lord. He had a lot uniforms for the dressing up box. Some earned, some not.
Quite a few beers, chapter and verse tomorrow.

Yep. Lord Warden it is. Cheers.

I had Oxford in my head. Like other (but not all) hussar regiments (regular and yeomanry), probably raised as light dragoons.
I'm not aware of any yeomanry that were raised as light dragoons by name, although they may well have been uniformed in that fashion [Notts Yeo started life in Tarleton helmets then the light dragoon option].

Only if you did it before 1965
Cribbed from Wikip...
It was around 1976 or 77 that I obtained it directly from the flagpole on top of the gatehouse entrance at Dover Castle.

I've never heard of Menzies before but that's quite an impressive list of of people who have held the post.

I'm not aware of any yeomanry that were raised as light dragoons by name, although they may well have been uniformed in that fashion [Notts Yeo started life in Tarleton helmets then the light dragoon option].
Ahem.
History

:salut:
At least, it's what they claim.

Ahem.
History
:salut:
At least, it's what they claim.
They were formed as Imperial Yeomanry and then became the Westminster Dragoons not Light Dragoons. By 1901 there were no light dragoon regimental titles left in the British Army all such regiments having become Hussars or Lancers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
By 1901 there were no light dragoon regimental titles left in the British Army all such regiments having become Hussars or Lancers.
In some cases both. Unless I'm very much mistaken (© Murray Walker) 19th were raised as Light Dragoons (disbanded, a new 23rd took their number), converted to Lancers then disbanded, then a 19th Hussars raised.

See 19th Light Dragoons - Wikipedia

Ultimately, all constituent regiments of the Light Dragoons had been Hussars, but at Options For Change, the bastard offspring of the fractional hussar regiments were getting messy, so, since the four original Light Dragoons constituents had also been light dragoons at some point (though 13th were raised as dragoons), the amalgamation saw the new regiment styled Light Dragoons (though as in Napoleonic style, styled as hussars).

Messy, eh?

Churchill was Honorary Colonel of the 5th (Cinque Ports) Bn, The Royal Sussex Regt. The battalion's capbadge was slightly changed from that of the Royal Sussex Regt:

Churchill was Honorary Colonel of the 5th (Cinque Ports) Bn, The Royal Sussex Regt. The battalion's capbadge was slightly changed from that of the Royal Sussex Regt:

You are correct but that is not the cap badge he is wearing in the original post. He was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, the original image was taken at the crossing of the Rhine.

You are correct but that is not the cap badge he is wearing in the original post. He was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, the original image was taken at the crossing of the Rhine.
Cheers yes, but I know that. The 5th (Cinque Ports) Bn badge has already been posted. I was showing what the original Royal Sussex Regt capbadge looks like for comparison. :)