ID Cards to be Introduced by 2008

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As reported by the BBC

On News24 they are saying that the Iris and facial recognition might be dumbed down to get the cost down - they are now going to rely more on fingerprints.

Putting civil liberties to one side, I object to wasting money on this - there is no way to prevent fraudulent cards and therefore it will not do the job it is supposed to do

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Watched a chap on TV say it would take 40-50 years to get everyone a card!
    Don't think I'll have to worry about it.

3. http://www.av1611.org/666/biochip.html

This from http://www.religion-cults.com/antichrist/mark.htm

3- A Universal Identification Number, with Social Security:

Oh boy. :twisted:

4. I wouldn't worry about it.

Consider:-

1 It will cost billions and the government is already skint.

2 It would be the biggest computer project ever attempted by the government. We all know how good they are at large scale IT projects.

3 By the time they figure out the project's affirmative diversity action policy we'll all be dead and gone. (e.g. should trannies be tagged as male or female. That alone should keep them occupied until the next change of government).

We have a better chance of seeing England lift the World Cup than of ever carrying an ID card.

5. With the main opposition parties lining up to cancel the whole project, should they gain the power in Parliament, this administration would be Barking to continue with it - what a waste of taxpayers (not their's) money; how irresponsible!

6. bring on big brother thats what i say. What have you got to hide?

7. I renewed my passport early - 10 more years of freedom! :D

8. I shan't be having one :D

9. ID card plan to cost 5.4 billion pounds

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-10-09T115541Z_01_L09246917_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SECURITY-BRITAIN-IDCARDS.xml

So, that's 1000,000,000 x 5.4

54 Million people in the UK, give or take 10 million . and to make the math simpler (I are Infanntree)

So that's 5.4,000,000,000 divided by 54,000,000 take off the zeroes, take off the socks and that's errrrr £100 pounds a head for an ID card when all costs are taken into consideration. I think

We're probably nearer 70,000,000 in the UK in the next 5-10 years , so does the cost go up or down? More Admin , more cost. Don't get economies of scale in Passports, no siree.

Now those filthy godless communists over at LSE have calculated this at a tad more.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/pressAndInformationOffice/newsAndEvents/archives/2005/IDCard_FinalReport.htm

I think I know which one I'm more inclined to believe, and I think they've got their maths wrong too.

10. Why not issue a smaller copy of your passport photo page when a new (biometric) passport is issued? This credit card sized solution fits into a wallet & seems to me to be the easiest way of addressing the issue.

11. ^But that would require creative thinking and ingenuity.

Another costly white elephant in the making.

12. I believe the problem is not the card itself, it's the database that supports it. As you say, issuing a card with basic identity details is no more difficult than issuing a passport. Creating a secure database to hold detailed, personal information on every UK citizen would be a huge undertaking.

13. I will welcome carrying an ID card. I carried one whilst living in France and never had a problem.

14. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

The good news is that all the prison cells are full so they won't have any room for those of us who chop it in two and post it back to them.

I have yet to see one single good reason for having these things that cannot already be dealy with more adequately via existing legislation and procedures that the Government are already failing to enforce. properly.

This is just the nest stage of Stalinism and state control.

15. ......And that's exactly what they are.

Fortunately, I renewed my passport last month. Oh.......just by the way, I won't be having one !