ID card trial scrapped - Labour in yet another defeat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maguire, Jun 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'In a humiliating U-turn, Home Secretary Alan Johnson said that a trial scheme that was to force some airport staff to carry the controversial cards has been scrapped.

The massive climbdown means that carrying an ID card will now never be made compulsory for members of the general public.

It signals the end of one of Labour's most controversial policies, which has been championed by a succession of Home Secretaries, and threatens to further undermine the authority of the Prime Minister.'

I didnt know he had any left, but hey ho.
  2. It's only been scrapped as they know that they haven't the money to pursue it......and it would see off what little support these imbiciles have left.
  3. Does anyone know how much money this deep fried dogturd of an idea has cost the taxpayer so far?
  4. I'll bet it's because they can't get it into place before the Tories get in next year - they have pledged to get rid of it after all.
  5. Lots. And do not forget to add in the cost of scrapping the soon to be disaster that is E Borders. Coming to an airport or ferry terminal near you very soon.
  6. And why were the tories telling potential contrators not to touch it?

Could it be because it would be massively expensive,fundamentaly illiberal and about as popular with the populace as Garry Glitter at a primary school slumber party?

Actually you can see why Labour had such a lob on for it.ID cards pretty much sum them up.
  7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

...funny how a nominally left-wing party have tried to introduce far more authoritarian and Big Brother esque schemes than the Tories ever did...
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, they may not listen to the electorate, but circumstances of their own making are forcing them to scrap dogturd ideas.

ID cards? Fcuk'em if they don't like it! Wot? Eh? Waddyamean we can't afford it? Waddyamean we'll be massively defeated in the commons, with even our own not-on-message-anymore MPs voting against it, despite the whips? Oh, bugger, ok then, cancel it.
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Largely because it forms part of the European Identity Project, which has been running for some years, creating vast wealth for BT, IBM, and the usual technology suspects.

Don't be too sure that 'Call me Dave' will can it, just as you shouldn't be too sure that he'll deliver the promised European Referendum - remember Maastricht? Remember the Single European Act?
  10. Good riddence, but I am afraid to say that ID cards are only a symptom of the wider problem like the national id register and E-borders

What has Dave the Rave Cameron got to say about them I wonder?

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Ah yes. Fighting terrorism every step of the way by preventing people jumping on the ferry to France and bringing back some wine without prior consent. Is that that one?

I'll sleep easier in my bed when that comes in.
  12. In the interests of putting a few people straight.....

Cameron has not promised a referendum on the EU at all any anyone who thinks they are going to get a say of the political landscape of the country by voting conservative needs to give their head a severe wobble.

The tories have said that a referendum will be delivered upon the condition that the European constitution has not been ratfified by all member states.

Effectively this means that a UK referendum hinges opon the Irish saying 'no' to lisbon in the upcoming referendum in Ireland.

This looks increasingly unlikely as many have been taken in by the snake oil salesman federasts promising the Irish internal consessions that actually have no leagal base within European law.

The Irish are falling for the same trick that saw the UK join the EU shambles in the first place.

If the European constitution HAS been ratified by the time a conservative government comes to power then their offical position is :

When pulled up on what this actually means by Paxman on newsnight a while ago William Hauge made an utter fool of himself.

The tories (presently,they have some outstanding talent in their backbenches who could change things in a serious way) will not give us a referendum on the EU.And as such all the talk they make (and others) of political and social reform is utter bollocks,because any meaningful reform has to be compatible with the EU (where increasingly the real political power lies.)

As with all major political parties the devil is in the detail.
  13. Probably finger trouble. :oops:
  14. How discredited can a 'government' get?

So called 'principle' is discarded on a daily basis.

Their 'policies' emanate from three main sources.

Firstly a disconnection with what is referred to as 'the real world', but what is in fact the greater mass of the British public.

Secondly, in imitation of a bulimic, the incessant regurgitation of previously stated 'measures', 'figures', 'statistics' and 'wishes'. Unattainable 'wishes' that the incoming government will ditch, to the disapproval of the unwashed, unemployed and Labour voting loud-moths.

Thirdly, and most dangerously, they emanate from a demonic desire to stay in government.

Daily, for a week or more we have seen this lame, dishonest and discredited government appropriate stated Tory policies and recant, renege on their 'firmly held principles'.

Criminally, and I mean CRIMINALLY, they are, it reported, refusing to allow the Opposition to have sight of the real state of the national finances. It follows that they are refusing to allow us, the tax payers, to see the destruction wrought by this deranged man on our finances.

Criminally, and I mean CRIMINALLY, we are now being governed by a twice disgraced, unelected, Europhile with an agenda!
  15. Whilst nobody likes the government, I think Isquared is beginning to sound like a stuck record. Give it a rest, it'll do your blood pressure a world of good.