ID an aircraft

I have seen a very brief clip of an aircraft on a YouTube compilation but cannot find the clip again and wondering if anyone can help as to the type.
It was a 2 seater fighter aircraft, the clip showed the 2 crewmen seemingly "inserted" into the plane from underneath via some sort of lift system, they were already sitting/strapped into their seats and it was these seats that were lifted into the aircraft. @.@

You got in to the F-104 by the conventional manner of climbing into it; there was a hatch through which the seat fired in the floor, but it wasn't for access.

As Maninthestreet says, the likely candidates seem to be the M50 Bounder and the Tu-22 Blinder. I appreciate that neither is a two seat fighter, but the Soviets had a brief flirtation with the strap in, ride up into the cockpit approach to bang seats before deciding that it was, frankly, a bit mental.

Tu-22 Blinder(at approx 0:36 onwards)

Bounder (at 4:17)

Last edited:

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Perhaps these brave boys?
1579772302598.png

You got in to the F-104 by the conventional manner of climbing into it; there was a hatch through which the seat fired in the floor, but it wasn't for access.

As Maninthestreet says, the likely candidates seem to be the M50 Bounder and the Tu-22 Blinder. I appreciate that neither is a two seat fighter, but the Soviets had a brief flirtation with the strap in, ride up into the cockpit approach to bang seats before deciding that it was, frankly, a bit mental.

Tu-22 Blinder(at approx 0:36 onwards)

Bounder (at 4:17)

Got to hand it to the Russians - they certainly produced some striking designs.

Managed to find the video, the clip starts at 3:42 and is quite brief also snipped some pics as well, so what is is?

1579813610071.png
1579813668377.png

1579813729215.png
1579813773589.png

1579813829803.png

The pilots arent being raised from below...the camera is mounted on the canopy and lowered onto them - just a bit of an optical illusion. Does indeed look like an F15.
I don't see that, I see the seats rising I also see when they are fully up they then move back slightly.

I don't see that, I see the seats rising I also see when they are fully up they then move back slightly.
Look at the skyline in the background for reference.

The pilots arent being raised from below...the camera is mounted on the canopy and lowered onto them - just a bit of an optical illusion. Does indeed look like an F15.
Yes; F-15E, and agree that it's an optical illusion. While the seats can be adjusted for height, the crew isn't raised into position from below, since they'd have to come in via the nosewheel bay, which would be.... interesting.

The seats moving back at the end is in fact the camera moving away from them; the sequence for closing up is canopy down and then move forward to seal with the windshield -

You can see how the crew get into the Eagle at the start of this (and have your ears assailed by the music overlaid on the video as a bonus) -

Climb in, strap in, canopy down, no auto seat movement.

The video the clip originates from is this one (complete with the most pant-wettingly Guardianista disclaimer at the start of the video):

Yep I see it now, aww shit I thought I had seen something really speshull. :(
Still it goes to show the power of ARRSE and the knowledge therein.

Latest Threads