ICSCL reading list

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by arnold_rimmer, Nov 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not quite at the ICSC stage yet, but can anyone recommend any real nuggets of golds within the ICSCL reading list that are v interesting and useful?

Many Thanks,

Rimmer

2. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Don't know if it has made it on to the list yet but I would recommend:

Thomas Hammes: The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st Century

I read before I attended ICSC(L) and found it extremely useful for Term 1 - it made my choice of essay extremely easy...

3. ADP Land Operations. Also Utility of Force and Kilcullen's Accidental Guerrilla.

whf

4. The only advice I could give is know your ADP stuff inside out and only read books you have an interest in. I found Utility of Force to be so clever as to be unreadable - not light, not particularly accessible. Far better to read the Shield of Achilles - which is a much better read and uses much better language. People who say loved Smith's book are either lying or read the Army list for fun!

The reading list is there to allow you to rape quotes from known sources in putting essays together!

5. Chill re pre-reading..no honestly.....you get everything you need on the course, and more, much more and you will never read all this either, no one does !!!.....however, to get you in the mind set try these two:- The Utility of Force and The Accidental Guerilla :desertsoldier:

6. I am attending Cse 7A and have recently received the Dir AD letter. When you add MK ICSC(L) to the Dir's reading list, I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day between now and Sep to actually read it all! Oh and have a life to boot............ 8O

7. I would recommend ADP Land Ops. I would also now add, coming to the end of my SUC tour, Operational Insights - Coy Level Tactics in Helmand. Slightly focusing on THE War but good what is happening now when they start bombarding you with the Third Shock Army heading straight for Imber Village. I think that it is all very good discussing cerebral b*****ks in the syndicate room but we all need to keep one hand on the reality of what we are involved in now. So when they start saying how long is it going to take to move your AI BG from Copehill Down to execute the BLOCK you can ask them whether that is with or without BARMA!

8. ADP Land Ops. Kilcullen's Accidental Guerrilla (and his Counterinsurgency due to be published in April/May 10) and AFM Vol 1 Part 10 (COIN Doctrine)

Oh...and Viz!!

9. i there an isbn for this? google says no

10. I wouldn't bother - Ops in the Land Environment 2010 is its replacement which should be hitting the streets very soon.

11. Unless you believe you are one of the rising stars, or actually know you are destined for at least OF4, I wouldn't really bother. Go on the course, work reasonably hard, spend a lot of time in the Shags Bar, and come off, as do most of the attendees, with an average pass. It will make not one jot of difference to your future.

12. msr

msr LE

Did you really put yourself through the entire commissioning process to be 'average'?

msr

13. Some of us don't have a choice... :D

14. It is published by Mission Support Group, Land warfare Centre so no ISBN.