ICSC(L) - the advice you could have been told but werent...

OK, this is a different spin to the other ICSC(L) post - very interesting as it is (even the dripping was generally high quality!) - my question is:

If there is one single bit of advice that you wish you had been given before you started, what would it be?

For example, before I reported on day one of my (what IS the opposite of illustrious?) career, my father, with 22 years of experience behind him, offered me this gem: "If you have to polish your boots when you're wearing them, don't forget to do the heels..."

When the initial briefs state how you'll have a great quality of life, able to spend the evenings getting home to bath the kids etc, ignore it.

Manage your expectations, its a career course to place you into a quartile among your peer group, and you will regularly work late at night and sometimes through the weekends.

Or not...............

Depends entirely upon your expectations and which quartile you are aspiring to reach.

Tip 2 - A USB mouse comes in handy, especially for term 2

FBG - are you off there in Sep........

If so see you there - Advice i have been given by a previous Instr was get some practice of SNB if you've not done them before.
Work hard during the week and the weekends shall be yours is also apparently true.

Yep, September it is - daft old tankie LE with solar panel, that's me...

What WOULD also be useful is a lst of ICSC acronyms, abbreviations and TLAs - I thought I was a bit of a guru at these until I read the other threads! SNB???

SNBE - Short Notice Brief(ing) Exercise

Basically - here's a load of stuff to read, some relevant, most not - precis and deliver a 10 min verbal brief. There are also a couple of similar but the end product is a written brief.

My one piece of advice would be the statement from the new Director of B Division - 'It's only a course'.

:)

How about:

Make sure you do the maths tests before attending. Reality is that all of the maths could be done on an abacus or mobile phone. And being told not to worry about the Level 2 assesment - the marks that carry 50% of the total course mark, decided by somebody of the same rank (in most cases) as you. So what? Do not fall out with your DS, and do not fight the shite (white).

My advice would be.....

Get on the good side of your DS.
Beware of the 'Coursemen'
Definitely take a bike
Work as much on your FAs as your FEs
Don't think the DS know the answers (even when in the pink)
Don't do remedial maths
Don't take it too seriously

Bikes are just handy to get to lunch ahead of everyone else!

FE (Formal Evaluation), FA (Formal Assessment - Level 2)
Cse 3b had 9 FEs I believe, 4a had 5 but you still do the old FEs except they're cunningly called FA and forme part of your DS's 25%.

And I'm back in the room...

not quite.

You have 5 x FEs which over 2 terms equates to 50% of your overall mark, or 10% per evaluation.

Your syndicate DS then give you 25% per term aka level 2 assessment. These are supposed to reflect your holistic performance and should be influenced by your performance on your FA (formal assessment).

Truth is, even if you do well on FEs and FAs, your DS can still stitch you up as they see fit with level 2.

The level 2 is supposedly moderated by the Div Directors, but what your syndicate DS says normally goes. Hence the contention, being graded by a fellow maj, invaribaly non-PSC, and with possibly similar comd experience as yourself, particularly if you've been an acting Maj / Sub-unit comd.

In my opinion, this totally undermine what would otherwise be an excellent cse.

The quality of life is better than at RD; there is very little f*ck about factor and you know what you have to do and when you have to do it. Plenty of leave and, more importantly, absolutely no responsibility for anybody else.

The overflow room - find it early and make the most of it!

Enjoy it as it is probably the slackest 8 months you are going to get for some time!

Don't worry about it, by the time your ICSC(L) report become really relevant you should have two Staff and 2 RD reports under your belt. Unless you are a staff college ninja or a total dunce an ICSC(L) report from 4-5 years ago won't really make that much difference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
irlsgt Army Reserve 15
L Staff College and Staff Officers 2
T Officers 9