Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by chimera, Nov 4, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

What's the view from the current crop of victims? Is the course worthwhile? Any good gossip yet?!!
  2. I expect that they're all looking forward to 2 weeks in Georgia.

Estimate anyone? :lol:
  3. What course would that be ?
  4. Initial Command and Staff Course (Land) at the Defence Academy
  5. Very well indeed - no pressure to back stab to get black bag jobs as jobs already allocated and a remarkably grown up approach to the course. Shame we don't get as much time off as some courses in the near vicinity though...
  6. There are rumours of cheating on the Equipment Capability exam in Dec. Apparently some wag managed to download an advance copy of the exam by simply searching for it on the intranet. Nice one.
  7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Smart - the individual obviously very capable on equipment. Post him/her to the Bowman programme straight away!
  8. Top of the course for use of initiative then :wink:
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Yes, it is terrible in the 5th form isn't it. All that hard work and no MA/MSc/MDA at the end.
  10. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

What does the DIA/War Studies component of ICSC(L) consist of? I asked about this during an MA course recently, and the ETS officer tutor didn't know. All I can find is a reference, athttp://www.da.mod.uk/JSCSC/Courses/army/, to "Stage 1d - Home and International Affairs"

- How long is this phase of the course?
    - What's the content?
    - Is it teaching and/or assessment? (We had lots of "This one time.. on JCSC.. we had three weeks of DIA and War Studies, with multiple essays every day..." from the ETS instructor. Is 'death by essays'?)
    - Are you watched for "your contributions" to the discussion (i.e. MA courses, depending on the tutor, can turn into a contest of waffling one-up-man-ship, talking lots and saying very little..)

Thanks for any info.
  11. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

There are no BB jobs for graduates of this course. All will go from the course to Initial Staff appointments or RD (sqn/coy/bty comd).

BB Jobs come up thereafter on Subsequent SO2 jobs (after RD)

12. No, but a few former BB jobs have been moved across onto the Initial List.
  13. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

Have they indeed? Interesting. I'll make some enquiries...
  14. Whats this talk of exams on the course???? :(

Having done JCSC in '99 (including all 3 exams for IPSE) and being told I still have to do this :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I'm not exactly happy about the prospect of more exams???

Please no more essays on the cause of the first world war?
  15. For ICSC(L)2 see MA2 to CGS for starters (oops! giving away aspirations... move straight to consolation!)