ICSC - HOW IS IT GOING SO FAR?

Very well indeed - no pressure to back stab to get black bag jobs as jobs already allocated and a remarkably grown up approach to the course. Shame we don't get as much time off as some courses in the near vicinity though...

There are rumours of cheating on the Equipment Capability exam in Dec. Apparently some wag managed to download an advance copy of the exam by simply searching for it on the intranet. Nice one.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shame we don't get as much time off as some courses in the near vicinity though...
Yes, it is terrible in the 5th form isn't it. All that hard work and no MA/MSc/MDA at the end.

DangerMouse

Old-Salt
What does the DIA/War Studies component of ICSC(L) consist of? I asked about this during an MA course recently, and the ETS officer tutor didn't know. All I can find is a reference, athttp://www.da.mod.uk/JSCSC/Courses/army/, to "Stage 1d - Home and International Affairs"

e.g.
- How long is this phase of the course?
- What's the content?
- Is it teaching and/or assessment? (We had lots of "This one time.. on JCSC.. we had three weeks of DIA and War Studies, with multiple essays every day..." from the ETS instructor. Is 'death by essays'?)
- Are you watched for "your contributions" to the discussion (i.e. MA courses, depending on the tutor, can turn into a contest of waffling one-up-man-ship, talking lots and saying very little..)

Thanks for any info.

Yorkie said:
Very well indeed - no pressure to back stab to get black bag jobs as jobs already allocated and a remarkably grown up approach to the course. Shame we don't get as much time off as some courses in the near vicinity though...
There are no BB jobs for graduates of this course. All will go from the course to Initial Staff appointments or RD (sqn/coy/bty comd).

BB Jobs come up thereafter on Subsequent SO2 jobs (after RD)

regards

MS_Rep said:
There are no BB jobs for graduates of this course. All will go from the course to Initial Staff appointments or RD (sqn/coy/bty comd).
No, but a few former BB jobs have been moved across onto the Initial List.

Whats this talk of exams on the course???? :(

Having done JCSC in '99 (including all 3 exams for IPSE) and being told I still have to do this :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I'm not exactly happy about the prospect of more exams???

Please no more essays on the cause of the first world war?

MS Bloke, there are about 8 jobs I believe - but my contact tells me that most were included due to being very naff - Ops Controller at PJHQ springs to mind!

Barbs - good luck with the MA to CGS job - at last count, I believe that 88 other officers have expressed an interest - although it's not the 'most applied for' job. :D

You are suggesting I was on the Beige List! Not for some time to come, if I spend all my time on arrse, that is.

Do I fancy the job? maybe... but then I'm a thruster not a moaner :twisted:

Some other jobs at PJHQ are being done by senior majors who are working full pelt and are being regraded as initial posts - poor souls, following in those footseps.

DangerMouse said:
Are you watched for "your contributions" to the discussion (i.e. MA courses, depending on the tutor, can turn into a contest of waffling one-up-man-ship, talking lots and saying very little..)
Buy me a beer and I'll tell you about the time when I was a visiting lecturer on the (P/T) MDA course and a 2 star student tried to impress the O5/O4 students by his insight and erudition. Even though he was our number one customer, I just couldn't resist riddling his metaphorical body of knowledge with logical bullets and then attacking him in brain to brain combat at coffee afterwards as well!!

Has anyone heard any rumours about the future of ICSC(L). There are bits and pieces circulating about the future or even lack of future of the course as we know it today. Some bits so far; The course may have its funding reduced to pay for the army element of the new "Ranger Bn" which has not yet been funded under FAS, the lack of accomodation/teaching facilities at shriv to look after 400 cynics, a rumoured increase in resignations due to having to get back onto the academic hamster wheel, the opportunity to increase the number of floppies attending the def college as part of a UN College???
How would a reduction in course length affect the posting to the college and how will this affect the backfill into soon to be vacated jobs and accomodation??

Latest Threads