Icons. "The Short Magazine Lee Enfield Rifle".

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Henry_Tombs, Jan 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow Arrsers, whilst I know some of you strayed and voted for other things may I draw your attention to the Lee Enfield Rifle which has now been accepted as an icon but really just needs a little bit help in the voting department.
    http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/lee-enfield-rifle

2. I have voted for it, but personally find the Bren Gun far more iconic with the old "banana" magazine.

The Spitfire will win, though.

3. Got my vote

First rifle i ever fired and i can still remember the recall ! Ouch. lol

4. Voted because I'm a soft sentimental type at heart. And mi dad would have lugged one for many years.
    john
    Ah Ya Spitfire, creaming mi self.

5. The SMLE should win, after all, it has certainly 'pacified' many more of the Crowns enemies than the Spit.........Should be a Mark III SMLE though.

6. Question of style, like 8 Brownings at 1,000 RMP.
    Hello Big Boy. 15 second Sudden death.
    john

7. just what is he on about, the .303 was only rifle in use in 1957 in the British Army, They were going to issue us with the FN in 1956 for the Suez invasion then some bright spark realised that it had not been desert tested and it went back into store again., My personal favourite Le e Enfield was the was first WW one with the leaf sight which you could also set the windage for long shots, also it had wicked 18 inch bayonet which was far more use than the pig sticker they came out with for WW2