Icons for Englishness?

This afternoon I wandered across to the local centre to post a letter and whilst taking advantage of the "monday club £1.50 a pint" in the boozer, I picked up a copy of The Scum which some kind person had left on the table. Amongst the normal rubbish was a campaign to find the true symbol of Englishness, my first thought was the Union Jack, but as this isn`t just for the English, I thought on. Later my Mrs thought of fish and chips, whilst I had visions of hundreds of English Yeomen taking down Johnny French at Agincourt. It seems to be very difficult to think of a truly English icon in these times other than a burberry cap. Answers on a postcard please :roll:

Whilst football hooligans are a reasonable suggestion they are not strictly English. There is still a great confusion between English and Britishness. The search is for something that defines Englishness and will probably have to go back a couple of hundred years to find a symbol, please pay more attention to the question or you will find yourself sitting at the back of the class :lol:

The search is for something that defines Englishness and will probably have to go back a couple of hundred years to find a symbol, please pay more attention to the question or you will find yourself sitting at the back of the class.
How about the monarchy?

Latest Threads