Icons for Englishness?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by slick, Jan 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This afternoon I wandered across to the local centre to post a letter and whilst taking advantage of the "monday club £1.50 a pint" in the boozer, I picked up a copy of The Scum which some kind person had left on the table. Amongst the normal rubbish was a campaign to find the true symbol of Englishness, my first thought was the Union Jack, but as this isn`t just for the English, I thought on. Later my Mrs thought of fish and chips, whilst I had visions of hundreds of English Yeomen taking down Johnny French at Agincourt. It seems to be very difficult to think of a truly English icon in these times other than a burberry cap. Answers on a postcard please :roll:
  2. How about a Bulldog with great big Bollocks...
  3. churchill
  4. How about football holigans?
  5. Beat me to it! :)
  6. Whilst football hooligans are a reasonable suggestion they are not strictly English. There is still a great confusion between English and Britishness. The search is for something that defines Englishness and will probably have to go back a couple of hundred years to find a symbol, please pay more attention to the question or you will find yourself sitting at the back of the class :lol:
  7. There are various (old) English designs at:

We are the English

Whatever floats your boat.
  8. How about the monarchy?
  9. What about John Bull a bit old school I know, What would be the modern version of John Bull?

Editted coz I is a mong
  10. The House of parliament - the home of democracy - place of work of pillock in chief blair
  11. Leslie Phillips. :lol:
  12. Winston Churchill
  13. Cricket on the village green
    Country pubs
    Loathing the French
  14. Hunting :(
  15. According to some numpty politician (David Blunkett?) the most common dish eaten in England was Chicken Tikka Massala?!