iconic falklands photo

Found this photo and it brings back memories of being eleven, scared and ready for WW3....... well I was only 11! The cold war was frightening then and you never knew what would start it all off.

This photo though allways gave a sense of hope.........brave guys fighting the enemy and making everything good again.

Does anyone know who he is?

Did he get home safe?

Attachments

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I belive he did make it back
Isn't there a statue of him somewhere to comemorate the Falklands
Was he a Marine or an attached Sigs?

the_boy_syrup said:
Was he a Marine or an attached Sigs?
Definately a Marine and yes he did get back as this picture is taken after the Unconditional Surrender, during the advance on Port Stanley.

the_boy_syrup wrote:

You are indeed correct, there is a statue based on this picture; it is known as the yomping marine. It is situated outside the Royal Marines museum on the Southsea seafront in Portsmouth. The flag is placed on the statue during the day time and taken down around sunset.
An impressive monument.

I've often wondered what became of this bloke too. Apparently the only Argentinewho attempted escape. I'm being picky but IMHO this one was doomed from the start....

Attachments

Stained_Eligius said:
I've often wondered what became of this bloke too. Apparently the only Argentinewho attempted escape. Doomed to failure from the start if I'm honest...
Didnt he try and escape in a unimog that was found fairly quickly too?

He was interviewed for a video on the Falklands war years ago. He was a sergeant. As he is at the back carrying a small radio.

Can't remember the name though.

If Jesus_Was_A_Sapper was here he would be very quick to tell us that it is his father that is in front of the guy carrying the Union flag. Thats his claim to fame.

Ronnie8781 said:
If Jesus_Was_A_Sapper was here he would be very quick to tell us that it is his father that is in front of the guy carrying the Union flag.
and also the 3rd man on the balcony?

Filbert Fox said:
Ronnie8781 said:
If Jesus_Was_A_Sapper was here he would be very quick to tell us that it is his father that is in front of the guy carrying the Union flag.
and also the 3rd man on the balcony?
No!! Second!! Unfortunatley it is true, he never shuts up about it, we gave him years of that. His Dad is now running a rather large private security firm.

catchyerselfon said:
Stained_Eligius said:
I've often wondered what became of this bloke too. Apparently the only Argentinewho attempted escape. Doomed to failure from the start if I'm honest...
There's a unimog in the background. Do you mean the bloke in the fluorescent coat? What's the story?

EX_STAB said:
catchyerselfon said:
Stained_Eligius said:
There's a unimog in the background. Do you mean the bloke in the fluorescent coat? What's the story?
No No No... certain POW's like yer man in the photo were given this jacket cos they wouldn't co-operate and refused to participate in the JSIW conversations. Likewise with the Unimog, that refused to start and assist with the troop movements around Stanley so that got painted as well as a lesson to the others and rightly so! The Red Cross weren't impressed I can tell you.

He didn't stand a chance. See those berets in the background...that's 49 PARA.

stickybomb said:
I'm stunned you said that. There are no records of 49 Para serving there and you probably know the reasons why it should remain as such. Opsec please, there are journos monitoring

bob_lawlaw said:
stickybomb said:
I'm stunned you said that. There are no records of 49 Para serving there and you probably know the reasons why it should remain as such. Opsec please, there are journos monitoring
Awfully sorry, would everybody please whack a strip of harry maskers over that bit of the screen.

I'll be off to the library for my mess webley WHTs.
What an ignoble end to a turgid career.

Amazingly it would appear that our Argentine had been dressed this way for the duration of the war. Further research has uncovered this picture. As you can see, he had clearly not been working alone.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dangerousdave Aviation 88
hairymonster1006 RAC 53
Gundulph Infantry 150