iconic falklands photo

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by datumhead, Feb 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this photo and it brings back memories of being eleven, scared and ready for WW3....... well I was only 11! The cold war was frightening then and you never knew what would start it all off.

This photo though allways gave a sense of hope.........brave guys fighting the enemy and making everything good again.

Does anyone know who he is?

Did he get home safe?

Attached Files:

2. Britains version of the USMC flag raising at Iwo Jima

Seriously it is becouse:

Island Capture
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I belive he did make it back
    Isn't there a statue of him somewhere to comemorate the Falklands
    Was he a Marine or an attached Sigs?
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Definately a Marine and yes he did get back as this picture is taken after the Unconditional Surrender, during the advance on Port Stanley.
  5. the_boy_syrup wrote:
    I belive he did make it back
    Isn't there a statue of him somewhere to comemorate the Falklands

You are indeed correct, there is a statue based on this picture; it is known as the yomping marine. It is situated outside the Royal Marines museum on the Southsea seafront in Portsmouth. The flag is placed on the statue during the day time and taken down around sunset.
    An impressive monument.
  6. For any interested modellers and painters, The Imperial Gallery make a 120mm figurine the represents the marine in the photo.

Attached Files:

7. I've often wondered what became of this bloke too. Apparently the only Argentinewho attempted escape. I'm being picky but IMHO this one was doomed from the start....

Attached Files:

• doh.jpg
      File size:
      85.3 KB
  8. Didnt he try and escape in a unimog that was found fairly quickly too?
  9. He was interviewed for a video on the Falklands war years ago. He was a sergeant. As he is at the back carrying a small radio.

Can't remember the name though.
  10. If Jesus_Was_A_Sapper was here he would be very quick to tell us that it is his father that is in front of the guy carrying the Union flag. Thats his claim to fame.
  11. and also the 3rd man on the balcony?
  12. No!! Second!! Unfortunatley it is true, he never shuts up about it, we gave him years of that. His Dad is now running a rather large private security firm.
  13. There's a unimog in the background. Do you mean the bloke in the fluorescent coat? What's the story?
  14. No No No... certain POW's like yer man in the photo were given this jacket cos they wouldn't co-operate and refused to participate in the JSIW conversations. Likewise with the Unimog, that refused to start and assist with the troop movements around Stanley so that got painted as well as a lesson to the others and rightly so! The Red Cross weren't impressed I can tell you.
  15. He didn't stand a chance. See those berets in the background...that's 49 PARA.