Iconic Crooner Andy Williams no more

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by changingmag, Sep 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I remember watching the Christmas shows (in black and white on a very small television) back in the 1950s, always had good guests. I didn't start to appreciate him until I got older. He, along with Perry Como was one of the smoothest of singers. There seemed to be a number of them at the time, Mel Torme (The Velvet Voice) and Tony Bennet.
    I heard Andy Williams sing once without backing, just by himself. His voice was as good as when recorded.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. As an old fogey, will the current vocalists appeal to as wide a range of listeners? Williams, Como, Sinatra, have left behind perennial songs, will Snoop doggy dog, WillIam, or Beiber do the same? I shan't miss him as such; his records will remain.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. If it's any consolation, I miraculously turn in to the croonmeister after a skin-full of Moretti, so all is not lost. 'You're just too good to be true etc.'
  5. Well it isn't now.Only Tom Jones to go.
  6. You can add Matt Monro to that list.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Dean Martin also belongs on that list.
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I totally agree. Matt Monro was one of the most underappreciated singers of his time. Wonderful voice, and lives on with 'The Italian Job', as well as 'Quiller Memorandum'You have good taste.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Chrissie Hynde ******* shit him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. For old times sake

• Like Like x 1
  11. And don't forget Vic Damone - he shits Sinatra!
  12. Only on the street where he lives...
  13. Yeah, and I bet you had to look him up didn't you? Go on... be honest.
  14. Yes - I'm so old I'd forgotten about him..and the tune.... so i quite enjoyed watching it on youth tube or whatever its called