Iconic Crooner Andy Williams no more

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I remember watching the Christmas shows (in black and white on a very small television) back in the 1950s, always had good guests. I didn't start to appreciate him until I got older. He, along with Perry Como was one of the smoothest of singers. There seemed to be a number of them at the time, Mel Torme (The Velvet Voice) and Tony Bennet.
I heard Andy Williams sing once without backing, just by himself. His voice was as good as when recorded.

As an old fogey, will the current vocalists appeal to as wide a range of listeners? Williams, Como, Sinatra, have left behind perennial songs, will Snoop doggy dog, WillIam, or Beiber do the same? I shan't miss him as such; his records will remain.

If it's any consolation, I miraculously turn in to the croonmeister after a skin-full of Moretti, so all is not lost. 'You're just too good to be true etc.'

I remember watching the Christmas shows (in black and white on a very small television) back in the 1950s, always had good guests. I didn't start to appreciate him until I got older. He, along with Perry Como was one of the smoothest of singers. There seemed to be a number of them at the time, Mel Torme (The Velvet Voice) and Tony Bennet.
I heard Andy Williams sing once without backing, just by himself. His voice was as good as when recorded.
Well it isn't now.Only Tom Jones to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=XmwDrEfI8sU

You can add Matt Monro to that list.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I totally agree. Matt Monro was one of the most underappreciated singers of his time. Wonderful voice, and lives on with 'The Italian Job', as well as 'Quiller Memorandum'You have good taste.

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Chrissie Hynde ******* shit him.

[video=youtube;gklMBrfoLPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gklMBrfoLPE[/video]

And don't forget Vic Damone - he shits Sinatra!

Yeah, and I bet you had to look him up didn't you? Go on... be honest.

I prefer this version ;-)

[video=youtube;E7iXpTJk15s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7iXpTJk15s&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Afraid I was more Little Richard than Andy Williams......

Always thought he sang like he had a Rampant Rabbit jammed up his arse........

Not that I'm knocking the concept, you understand......... just I don't think singing while the act is performed is a good idea.

You can add Matt Monro to that list.
I remember watching an interview many years ago, when Frank Sinatra said that Matt Monro was his favourite singer. Which was quite a compliment. I think they'd just released 'Born Free', which in my opinion was Monro's finest work.
Andy Williams though, what a voice that man had. I remember his TV shows from when I were nowt but a lad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hairymonster1006 RAC 53
Gundulph Infantry 150
datumhead Military History and Militaria 23