Kit Reviews ICM 1/35 WOT 6 British WW2 Truck

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
ICM 1/35 scale British W.O.T 6 Truck in-box review

icm35507.jpg

Ford (UK) were one of the biggest suppliers of trucks to the military during World War Two, and also one of the largest to supply lend-lease vehicles to Russia. The WOT (War Office Transport) 6 4x4 version were built in large numbers, over 30,00 were built between 1942 and 1945, and we're used in all theatres including North Africa, Italy and North-West Europe. Many War Office production trucks remained in service until well into the 1960's with the last few being released from service in 1962. Although the General Service (GS) variant being the most numerous, other variants included: Machinery 24'S Generator, Bridging-Pontoon and Bailey, Signals, Workshop, Compressor and House-type office.

The Kit in the Box
ICM have a tried and tested formula for their kits and it seems to work; the box lid is in fact a slip-cover with an excellent ¾ front picture of the vehicle on the top. That picture is repeated on both ends with a painting depiction on one side and a brief history on the other. The Kit sprues are held in a sealed cellophane bag, numbering 7 Grey sprues, 2 sprues of black vinyl tyres, 1 glazed sprue and a sprue of 5 Photo-etched parts. All-in-all, there are some 272 parts. The instruction booklet comprises 28 pages of contents, drawings with numeric and arrowed instructions and two pages of painting instructions. The small sheet of decals (shown below) are rather disappointing inasmuch as they only really show one unit! I would have thought a few more units could have been shown from a few more countries!
sm_icm35507_7.jpg

Contents
In true ICM fashion, the sprues are moulded in grey plastic and are very clean and crisp. There are the inevitable mould lines, most notably on the leaf springs. These will need some careful attention to avoid damaging the original detail. I also found rather a lot of release pin marks. It looks like ICM are aware of this problem and are trying to solve it. None of the marks appear on the noticeable side of the model and those in the cab should be easy enough to fill. I am not that impressed with the glazing sprue. It smacks of the Airfix kits of the 1970's! I tend to bin these and use clear plastic sheet instead. With any glazing, I always glue it by using white, wood glue as it dries clear.

I'm a little doubtful about the black vinyl tyres! They remind me of the tyres on the Tamiya LRDG Chevvy Truck, very little detail and no real use. I will see what's available in the aftermarket sales. The exhaust pipe will definitely need drilling out as it is a solid piece of plastic! A nice touch is the Photo-etch sprue, although there are several other parts which would have benefited from a touch of scaling down, namely the shovel holder, the shovel blade, vehicle pedals, engine fan, windscreen openers, door handles, dash grab handle, POL racks, mirrors and trafficators.

Conclusion
As always, I have my usual gripe about lack of figures. It really isn't too much to expect companies to chuck in a driver figure and a.n.other is it?
That being said, this is a cracking kit of one of the stalwarts of the wartime services. There aren't that many 1/35 scale British Trucks available as plastic kits and not too many out there at a reasonable price. This one at about £25:00 is just about right. It is nice to see the framework for the canvas tilt, leaving room for a scratch built tilt if required. I wonder if there will be a rash of aftermarket parts hitting the shops soon, including a desertised upgrade, a load and a troop carrying conversion.
I am somewhat puzzled that there are no painting instructions for North-West Africa or Italy. As the vehicle saw action in these theatres, it is surprising that there is no paint scheme. Then again, there are no instructions for the RAF versions either.
Moans and gripes aside, I am looking forward to building this kit, the engine alone looks pretty smart, and adding it to my growing collection. I have long held the view that good quality British Trucks can be made without having to resort to resin or white metal. ICM are leading the way in the truck market and long may they reign.

Highly recommended, 4 out of 5

Smeggers.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Chuck up some pics once yer finished please
I am still trying to finish something for the WW1 Group Build. I can't wait to get started on the WOT6 and will get to it asap.

Latest Threads