Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CityBanker, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As you might recall from 2005 when Londoners did the "WE ARE NOT AFRAID" thing, the Icelanders have come up with it for themselves following Brown / Darlings' attachment of Icelandic assets in the UK.

Page at :

May have been done already, but I thought it quite funny.
  2. Well, we want our £8 billion back.
  3. They're whinging a bit about the anti terror law being used, but in reality we got to the money before Iceland could get it back to their shores to pay their staff, if this had been a company within the UK trying to liquidise assets to syphon off before paying creditors they'd have ended up in jail*

* ok in reality they'd have ended up with a knighthood after donating 100k of that £8 billion to the labour party.
  4. dont seem to remember the old boys from the convoy days saying much about how friendly the icelanders were, or not so long back when we were almost in armed conflict with them over fishing. so how come all of a sudden they are bosom buddies.
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Iceland has changed so much recently: I preferred it when it was called Bejam.
  6. Trident, thats my solution to this problem...
  7. They've also dumped Kerry Katona from their adverts. :D
  8. "Before" and "after" the true face of Iceland

look what £8 million can do
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

To me, that's the thing we should all be whingeing about.

How long before the anti terror laws are used for just about anything - like 'looking at a politician in a funny way', 'not paying a banker his bonus', 'sending a text with the wrong word in it'.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
  10. Yes, the Icelandic fisheries stuff... I'd forgotten about that. Deserve everything they get.
  11. we did invade them in a truly shambolic attempt which required the aid of the Icelandic police to clear a path so the invading troops could get ashore. :twisted:

not the marines finest hour if we are going to do the evil empire thing we could at least do it with some style
    operation fork not even a cool code name ffs :cry:
  12. Well, if the Telegraph can be believed, Darling wasn't quite telling the whole truth when he claimed that Iceland was not going to compensate savers. Which begs the question.....Was the siezure of Icelandic assests under Anti Terroism laws actually justified?
  13. msr

msr LE

The Cod War is now the Wad War.

14. What would you spend it on?

I'd buy shoes, personally.
  15. If we don't get the money back I certainly would ignore their fishing limits. Remember when we allowed them to ram aluminium frigates with steel fisheries vessels, and cut the lines on British trawlers? Payback time, I think. When they did what they did they never thought the time would arrive, but it has.