Iceland

As you might recall from 2005 when Londoners did the "WE ARE NOT AFRAID" thing, the Icelanders have come up with it for themselves following Brown / Darlings' attachment of Icelandic assets in the UK.

Page at : http://www.indefence.is/postcards.php

May have been done already, but I thought it quite funny.

Well, we want our £8 billion back.

They're whinging a bit about the anti terror law being used, but in reality we got to the money before Iceland could get it back to their shores to pay their staff, if this had been a company within the UK trying to liquidise assets to syphon off before paying creditors they'd have ended up in jail*

* ok in reality they'd have ended up with a knighthood after donating 100k of that £8 billion to the labour party.

dont seem to remember the old boys from the convoy days saying much about how friendly the icelanders were, or not so long back when we were almost in armed conflict with them over fishing. so how come all of a sudden they are bosom buddies.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Argee2007 said:
They're whinging a bit about the anti terror law being used, but in reality we got to the money before Iceland could get it back to their shores to pay their staff, if this had been a company within the UK trying to liquidise assets to syphon off before paying creditors they'd have ended up in jail*

* ok in reality they'd have ended up with a knighthood after donating 100k of that £8 billion to the labour party.
To me, that's the thing we should all be whingeing about.

How long before the anti terror laws are used for just about anything - like 'looking at a politician in a funny way', 'not paying a banker his bonus', 'sending a text with the wrong word in it'.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

we did invade them in a truly shambolic attempt which required the aid of the Icelandic police to clear a path so the invading troops could get ashore. :twisted:

not the marines finest hour if we are going to do the evil empire thing we could at least do it with some style
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland
operation fork not even a cool code name ffs :cry:

Well, if the Telegraph can be believed, Darling wasn't quite telling the whole truth when he claimed that Iceland was not going to compensate savers. Which begs the question.....Was the siezure of Icelandic assests under Anti Terroism laws actually justified?

The Cod War is now the Wad War.

msr

CommanderLuke said:
Well, we want our £8 billion back.
What would you spend it on?

I'd buy shoes, personally.

If we don't get the money back I certainly would ignore their fishing limits. Remember when we allowed them to ram aluminium frigates with steel fisheries vessels, and cut the lines on British trawlers? Payback time, I think. When they did what they did they never thought the time would arrive, but it has.

Key point ... it's the "Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001". It is not exclusively related to Terrorism.

LINKY
PART 2 ...
(2)The first condition is that the Treasury reasonably believe that—
(a)action to the detriment of the United Kingdom’s economy (or part of it) has been or is likely to be taken by a person or persons,
or
(b)action constituting a threat to the life or property of one or more nationals of the United Kingdom or residents of the United Kingdom has been or is likely to be taken by a person or persons.
It's hugely complex, and there's no doubt that some serious money-shovelling was going on. Specifically, it appears that deposits in Kaupthing (IOM) were being transferred to Kaupthing (UK) to prop up Kaupthing (Iceland). Savers in IOM were mainly British Citizens living or working abroad who were unable to open UK accounts as they lacked a UK address - so the IOM was one of the very few options for depositing savings. As a consequence of Darling's actions, over 8000 depositors in IOM have lost something over £100M. I am one of those depositors :x
And guess what ... HMG doesn't care, because although we're British Citizens we're all generally labelled as "fat-cat off-shore tax-dodgers".

Depositors' website ... but server is down at the moment.

blue-sophist said:
Key point ... it's the "Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001". It is not exclusively related to Terrorism.
It sends out a very chilling message.

Relations with Iceland are going to take years to repair.

msr

B

Biscuits_AB

cpunk said:
Iceland has changed so much recently: I preferred it when it was called Bejam.
Kerry Katona likes Iceland. Her and that fat Irish bird who looks like a squaddies wife.

msr said:
blue-sophist said:
It sends out a very chilling message.
Relations with Iceland are going to take years to repair.
msr
I agree a lot of damage has been done. HMG could undoubtedly have made it clearer that they were using Part 2, and prevented Mr Haarde getting so excited. However, if it only took this old git 5 minutes or less to find the thing on the Web, perhaps the IS civil servants could have done the same and briefed their PM accordingly?

I do have a sense that a lot is happening in a positive way behind the scenes; public posturing by both sides is essential for "home consumption".