Iceland: Planes Grounded After Volcano Erupts - Part 2

Iceland: Planes Grounded After Volcano Erupts - Yahoo! News

A volcanic eruption believed to be more powerful than last year's flight-halting blast has closed airspace across Iceland.

But experts say the latest rupture should not affect international flights.

The North Atlantic island's most active volcano, Grimsvoetn, located at the heart of its biggest glacier Vatnajoekull, started to spew smoke and lava late Saturday.

Within an hour, the plume of smoke had rose to an altitude of 11km (6.8 miles).

The eruption comes just over a year after the nearby Eyjafjoell erupted - the first volanco blast at the Eyjafjallajokull glacier since 1823, and Iceland's first since 2004.

It briefly forced 600 people from their homes in the area but shut down large swathes of European airspace for almost a month amid fears the volcanic ash floating across the skies would wreak havoc on aircraft engines.

Icelandic Meteorological Office geophysicist Gunnar Gudmundsson said the Grismvoetn burst would not be of the same scale but could interfere with domestic flights.

"I don't expect this will have the same effect as Eyjafjoell volcano because the ash is not as fine," he said.

"I don't think this will have much of an effect on international flights, or that it will shut down airports abroad."

He said they would continue to monitor the movement of the plume.

Speaking to a geologist last night and she was saying that the Grímsvötn eruption started at about 17:30 utc. They were all having a bit of a laugh as they expected the doomsday nutters to jump on the bandwagon.:joker::joker::joker::joker:

Speaking to a geologist last night and she was saying that the Grímsvötn eruption started at about 17:30 utc. They were all having a bit of a laugh as they expected the doomsday nutters to jump on the bandwagon.:joker::joker::joker::joker:
Icelandair pilot Thor Kristinsson told the BBC he had flown near the volcano on Saturday.

"We were able to finish our flight but we did see the ash plume rise fast. We were at 38,000 feet ... and the ash was at least at 40,000 feet at that time.

"It looks at least as bad as the one last year and it looks like it could get worse. It's as big, if not bigger than the last ash cloud."

All we need now is the Spanish / French Air Controllers going for a double whammy. Off to get my foil tin hat......

You might be lucky Hits Scotland on Tuesday,

"If the eruption continues at the same intensity, it could spread to other parts of the UK, western France and northern Spain by Thursday or Friday. If the eruption continues at the same intensity, it could spread to other parts of the UK, western France and northern Spain by Thursday or Friday."

So do we get our money back?

If you have booked holiday / Flight before this happened and you’re due to fly during this occurrence I think you will have a better chance of getting your money back now we have had this shit happen before. I seem to remember that on the back of last years problems and insurance companies refusing to pay up, some chap did win a case and set the ball rolling (or am I hearing voices again)

I sincerley hope it doesn't **** over UK airspace, I'm supposed to be flying in to Manchester from Dubai next Monday morning.

oh come on lads look on the bright side, at least people can spell the name of this volcano, unlike that Eijalafakfallafflmcvitiesbiscuit one

oh come on lads look on the bright side, at least people can spell the name of this volcano, unlike that Eijalafakfallafflmcvitiesbiscuit one
I could always spell it, cut and paste is easy. I'm fcuked if I have to say it though! :nod:

The tofu munching tree hugging fluffy bunny lovers would have it that Geothermal energy is clean and environmentally sound, but I'll be****ed if I'll let them install a volcano in my garden.....

The tofu munching tree hugging fluffy bunny lovers would have it that Geothermal energy is clean and environmentally sound, but I'll be****ed if I'll let them install a volcano in my garden.....
Excuse me!! I don't eat tofu and hug trees but I think geothermal is a fantastic idea. How else would you get all of those scandanavian bints outisde swimming in bikini's?

Oh, how I so enjoy wandering in to find the dance of the headless chickens in full swing. So, Grimsvotn volcano has decided it wants to throw great clouds of "shite" in the air, do I care? NO, rather pleased actually, might make a few Euros out of the discomfort of others. My friends at Smyril Line are ecstatic, they see another large profit heading their way!!

All that is needed now is for Eyjafjallajökull and Hekla to blow another few loads in the air and the profits coming rolling in!! Also the agriculture industry gets a free delivery of fertilizer delivered to its door - just hope I am at home to receive it. Yes volcanic dust is teeming with nutrients and micro-nutrients - even better crops this year!! Also get free "Lava Sand" -whoopeee!! Well somebody has to benefit from the misfortunes of others.

You are an honourary German so in that case you must have a solar cell on your roof (and a child locked in your basement.)
You are confusing the Hermanns with the phlegms and Ösis, German cellars are much harder to escape from.

As for the solar panels, in time, I missed the boat during the initial stampede and golden shower of government sovs, once the price falls I'll fit my roof out with a top of the line array and not the cheap chinese shit many here bought.

I burn beechwood, cut in my own wood.