Icebreaker Help

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by bobhope, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently preparing for my icebreaker and would like some advice.

On the list it says family. What kind of stuff do you expect you to speak about? Any help appreciated.
  2. Right, you do not need to follow someone else's script on an icebreaker, the list you get given is a guide ;)

The best script you can make for one of these is one that you know instinctively.

That way you don't need to blag, it comes across naturally and it is logical.

The way you deliver it is more important ;)

Clear and confident above all else, the way to achieve that is to rehearse it :)

The best way to approach it is think about what you are going to say before you say it, make a conscious effort to emphasise your words (so you don't come across as monotone) and smile! :D

As a rule i would stick to

your name and how old you are,

where you come from in the UK,

who you are hoping to join and what job you want to do,

what your main interests and hobbies are, any sports you play,

the reason why you want to join the Army,

what you think your main qualities are and what you are offering the Army (determined, loyal, honest, good team worker etc)

and what sort of preparation and training you have done.

If you work along them lines it creates a flowing resume about yourself that is honest ;)

Too many applicants worry so much about this, yes it can be daunting getting up and talking in front of people you do not know, but if you are worried about it then chances are every one else is in the same boat ;)

Lastly, it is an 'icebreaker' and it does what it say's on the tin, it helps give the selection team a quick first look at you, it helps them form a basic picture of you, and it also helps you bond (albeit for a short time) with the rest of the applicants on your selection.

Oh and it also gives the selection team a good laugh too ;) :D
  3. the above advice is spot on and i was also told to keep your head up and hands behind your back your body language will speak as much as your mouth from what i can gather :D
  4. i agree with your last post
  5. Spot on, I got beasted after my icebreaker for that exact reason.
  6. i dont no why people even worry about the icebreaker,,
    you just stand infront of about 10 others, and infront of a board wich gives you headers of what to say, so no need to practice or reherse..
    when i did it we were told we could talk compleat rubbish beacause he wasnt listening to us and he only wanted to hear about 30seconds,, not 2 -3 mins, all there looking for is confidence and that your not a mong..
  7. When you do your icebreaker speak loudly and confidently. Know where you will be doing training and details about your capbadge because the staff may ask you about it during your icebreaker. Also what kind of run-time you're getting, what preparation you have done. Also a most memerable moment. When you get your ADSC date your AFCO/ACIO may or may not give you a sheet to fill out what you're going to say.
    They give you one at ADSC anyway to fill out while you are waiting for your medical.
  8. For added points, ask the directing staff a few questions at the end... just to make sure they were listening.
  9. but can you guarantee that is the same for every ADSC in the country?

ultimately you are basing that on one experience of a particular instructor, if i was his boss at the ADSC i would have kicked his arse for not presenting a more professional approach ;)
  10. Id feel like a right cheeky fcuker doing that mate!! :D
  11. Aye and you would probably get scowled at for doing so, they tend to be quite strict at ADSC as they are supposed to be preparing you for basic training, one of them speak when you are spoken to places ;)

One thing they don't like is applicants who come across as cocky, but like with anything you have to guage the situation before opening your mouth ;)
  12. luckily for me im not a chav mong!! im a relatively level headed 26 year old man with 2 kids and intelligence, im glad your on here fivetodo things youve said have definatly sorted me out sometimes and stopped me making mistakes or jumping the gun.

Your certantly a credit to the Arrse forums.

13. I don't see what all the fuss is over the Icebreaker. It's easy enough to get up there and talk for a bit. No one is going to mock you, there all doing it.
  14. Exactly, you don't see the fuss about it, nor do i, however i have seen people from all walks of life fall apart when asked to stand up to an audience and just talk for 2 minutes, not everyone likes to be put in a situation where they are the sole focus of attention :)

And believe it or not i have seen people getting mocked when they have been up there, however the Instructors are very quick to sort that out ;)
  15. I too dont understand the worry about the ice breaker tbh, everyone has to do it, you have a board in front of you telling you what you can talk about

And really, after 4 or 5 of them, you realise there are still 40 odd left to do, and stop taking in the fact that everyone has a mum and a brother, their mum doesnt want them to go, but their dad does, and they like to play football and box.