Ice Mess

we havent had hot water or heating in our mess for over 2 years, but we get about 47p back a day for it.

I'm sorry I seem to have stumbled into the Russian army version of Arrse! You have to be fcuking kidding Turp!

Wow just imagine if the papers got hold of this at the moment! I believe that Nick Ferrari on LBC Radio, here in the big smoke, is running a Save Our Soldiers campaign on his morning show. He would love to get his mits into this!

Shame that serving soldiers can't blow the whistle!

Someone should take them to Bulford!

Got up this morning to find no heating or hot water in the Officers Mess - this is a fairly regular occurrence in one accom block or another. In my own room, the radiator has been u/s since a week before Christmas. Reported 3 times to PROM, but apparently they won't come out if it's only one room that's affected - it has to wait until there are other jobs to do.

They'll probably turn up the day before I go the big sandpit, the jack bastards.

The wife always complains that I keep the central heating turned up. I tell her it's a cultural reaction common to all squaddies after freezing their nuts off for virtually the whole of their Army careers!
Funny, that; she just won't believe me...
Think I'll go to the pub, they've got a nice big open fire and I need to get warm!
She won't believe me about that either...

Why do most MoD establishments have this thermostat phenomenon that is akin to "Ice Station Zebra" during the chilly Winter months and "Satans Bottom" during the toasty Summer months.

I'm sure there's either some sort of conspiracy theory, it can't be cost cutting as the roasty-toasty temperartures endured during the summer waste a shedload of cash.

Thank God for punkah wallahs.

Slightly off topic, but it isn't just the messes that suffer if something goes wrong.
The boiler in our quarter packed up during the winter months, so we had no heating and very little hot water. Rang the emergency "DHE Holiday Line," and found some guy turning up the next day with a two electric heaters, rather than fixing the bloody boiler!

El_Pato said:
I'm sorry I seem to have stumbled into the Russian army version of Arrse! You have to be fcuking kidding Turp!
Bullshit said:
Offrs or SNCOs mess?
Officers, Seniors and Juniors accom, Seniors get 45p a day and juniors 42p a day back

Macks said:
Rang the emergency "DHE Holiday Line," and found some guy turning up the next day with a two electric heaters, rather than fixing the bloody boiler!
and they would cost you a fortune in electricity, which no doubt you didnt get reimbursed.

Returned to Officers' Mess yesterday to find block heating/hot water restored. My radiator remains u/s and room assuming properties of a walk-in fridge. Reported for 4th time to PROM - they suggest I buy a radiator bleeding key and do it myself 'because it costs so much to get the heating engineers in for small jobs'!

Perhaps I should bill them, at plumber's rates, for my time ....

Still, it'll soon be time for MoD-declared summer time to begin - you know, that time of year when they arbitrarily turn all the heating off even though there's snow on the ground. They do the reverse at the end of autumn, leading to the situation LB describes.

dont need to, i have a dog

I know we all complain at the preponderence of Health & Safety legislation and the way it affects the way the army operates, but on this one it could prove useful ammunition.

As your employer it has a duty of care under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) to maintain a safe and comfortable working environment. That could mean the issue of Personal Protective Equipment (old Chairman Mao suits???) but more likely doing a bit of "web research" to back up the argument may just scare someone into action.

On a personal note on more than one occasion at SMP I have slept in a vehicle because the heating in the room I was allocated was bust making it too cold to sleep in even when fully dressed with thermals, a sleeping bag, and as many blankets as I could find. A thermomenter placed in the room read -2 deg C when I got up at 0600. To add insult to injury brekky that morning was the previous night's dinner re-heated and served with beans as a "breakfast stew" and compo sausages.

i remeber being in a simlar situation in N Yorksire. The useless prom did nothing for our heating so we all bough mini electric fans - what was really funny was the electric bill they got in April! Better still we all then got letters telling us to conserve electricity for the benefit of the environment!!

TURP said:
Macks said:
Rang the emergency "DHE Holiday Line," and found some guy turning up the next day with a two electric heaters, rather than fixing the bloody boiler!
and they would cost you a fortune in electricity, which no doubt you didnt get reimbursed.
Nope, you're absolutely right. Seem to remember ducking away from an incredibly irate father who was not too impressed, having just spent a fortune at Chirstmas, at being told he had to pay his electricity bill as well.

Even better this morning, 3/4 of the lights in the mess (officers) are u/s as a fuse blew and there are no spares.
The mess staff have told us that the fuses are going because there are too many electric heaters plugged in. The electrician has informed them that if the fuses go again he will not come out to fix it, so the mess staff asked for volunteers to go without heaters....

How we laughed! :lol: :D :roll:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Officers 32
c0kecan Classified Ads 3
W Classified Ads 2