Ice Cold in Alex

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Cutaway, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

As we all know it's a great movie, but there's a detail that's got me foxed.

Harry Andrews played the WO, but right at the beginning his title is given as MSM Tom Pugh.
    I would have thought that in 1958 when most blokes had served in the forces, the scope for basic errors about rank wold have been minimal, so what was MSM the abbreviation for ?

(The old man may well have told me in the dark & distant past, but my brain is now too far gone for memory to be put in gear.)
  2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Since the unit featured in the film was a Field Ambulance (or whatever the equivalent was), I'd guess at something like Medic Sergeant Major. Similarly, I was attached to 12 Armoured Workshop REME in the 1980s and the discipline WO2 was titled Workshop Sergeant Major, WSM, which you won't find listed anywhere.
  3. I'd agree with that.
  4. The Austin Ambulance used in the film was built for the job using K9 four wheel drive parts. A real K2 ambulance would have been 2wd.

Or so I was told....
  5. Compare the front axle in a still from the film (Front differential evident)
    With a standard K2 in this picture of a restored vehicle.
  6. I'd always leave the element of doubt for any "funnies" that might have been around - specially adapted for desert use maybe?
  7. I find the two female nurses in Ice Cold in Alex arousing. Is that wrong?
  8. not at all, in fact it would be wrong if you didn't.
  9. I take your point but I don't think that was the case.

Four Wheel drive was not so common then as now. Even the LRDG used a lot of 4x2 trucks.
  10. Very unlikely, the conversion would have been pretty complex.
    The K2 was introduced around 1939 and although 4wd was around at that time it wasn't common.

Nice pics of K2
  11. Lets not get too **** about this eh? LOL

We all admit it could be possible. That's good enough for me.
  12. Sorry GDAv!
    Used to have a 1944 AEC Matador, do tend to get a bit enthusiastic about such things!
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Kinell !
    That didn't take long to fokoff on a rivetcounters' tangent did it ?

The 'Medic Sgt Maj' while not such a bad guess doesn't quite ring true.
    Does anyone else know what the appointment MSM meant ?
  14. Thats nothing ! when they leave the Bar at the end of the film and sit in the back of the truck you see them drive off only to see a Series 1 Landrover parked outside the bar they have just left. As the film was made in the 1950s someone forgot to move it.

Still cracking film.