Ice Cold in Alex

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As we all know it's a great movie, but there's a detail that's got me foxed.

Harry Andrews played the WO, but right at the beginning his title is given as MSM Tom Pugh.
I would have thought that in 1958 when most blokes had served in the forces, the scope for basic errors about rank wold have been minimal, so what was MSM the abbreviation for ?

(The old man may well have told me in the dark & distant past, but my brain is now too far gone for memory to be put in gear.)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Since the unit featured in the film was a Field Ambulance (or whatever the equivalent was), I'd guess at something like Medic Sergeant Major. Similarly, I was attached to 12 Armoured Workshop REME in the 1980s and the discipline WO2 was titled Workshop Sergeant Major, WSM, which you won't find listed anywhere.

The Austin Ambulance used in the film was built for the job using K9 four wheel drive parts. A real K2 ambulance would have been 2wd.

Or so I was told....

EX_STAB said:
The Austin Ambulance used in the film was built for the job using K9 four wheel drive parts. A real K2 ambulance would have been 2wd.

Or so I was told....
Compare the front axle in a still from the film (Front differential evident)

With a standard K2 in this picture of a restored vehicle.

EX_STAB said:

Or so I was told....
I'd always leave the element of doubt for any "funnies" that might have been around - specially adapted for desert use maybe?

I find the two female nurses in Ice Cold in Alex arousing. Is that wrong?

not at all, in fact it would be wrong if you didn't.

GDav said:
EX_STAB said:

Or so I was told....
I'd always leave the element of doubt for any "funnies" that might have been around - specially adapted for desert use maybe?
I take your point but I don't think that was the case.

Four Wheel drive was not so common then as now. Even the LRDG used a lot of 4x2 trucks.
http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/fordchev.html

EX_STAB said:
GDav said:
EX_STAB said:

Or so I was told....

Four Wheel drive was not so common then as now. Even the LRDG used a lot of 4x2 trucks.
Very unlikely, the conversion would have been pretty complex.
The K2 was introduced around 1939 and although 4wd was around at that time it wasn't common.

Nice pics of K2 http://www.o5m6.de/austin_k2.html

jagman said:
EX_STAB said:
GDav said:
EX_STAB said:

Or so I was told....

Very unlikely, the conversion would have been pretty complex.
The K2 was introduced around 1939 and although 4wd was around at that time it wasn't common.

Nice pics of K2 http://www.o5m6.de/austin_k2.html
Lets not get too **** about this eh? LOL

We all admit it could be possible. That's good enough for me.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Kinell !
That didn't take long to fokoff on a rivetcounters' tangent did it ?

The 'Medic Sgt Maj' while not such a bad guess doesn't quite ring true.
Does anyone else know what the appointment MSM meant ?

Thats nothing ! when they leave the Bar at the end of the film and sit in the back of the truck you see them drive off only to see a Series 1 Landrover parked outside the bar they have just left. As the film was made in the 1950s someone forgot to move it.

Still cracking film.

Film Fact
In the bar scene in Alexandria, John Mills was drinking real beer because ginger ale and other substitutes didn't look real enough on film. In the final cut (the 14th take) he actually was quite drunk....Hic

Top Man...
:salut:

I saw John Mills being interviewed by Parky and he freely admitted that: due to the amount of takes needed for the 'signature shot' at the end, he was litteraly plastered and had to be assisted back to his accomodation.

GDav said:
I saw John Mills being interviewed by Parky and he freely admitted that: due to the amount of takes needed for the 'signature shot' at the end, he was litteraly plastered and had to be assisted back to his accomodation.
Good Drills... :worship:

If there is a person i would have loved to have a pint with, it's Sir John Mills.
What a life he has lead, and i bet he's a great story teller and raconteur.
Truly one of the Greats, sadly missed. And theres not too many of them about these days.

Gentlemen,

Having read the book (apparently loosely based on an actual event, the author having served in that theatre), the characters are part of an ambulance unit, rather than being medical personnel (other than the nurses, who aren't part of the unit). The title of the Sgt Maj is given in the book as Mechanic Sergeant Major (him being RASC). Oh, by the way, it's the Sgt Maj who pulls the nurse in the book, not the officer.

Edited to add emphasis.