Ice baths

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Krek_Brizzle, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had great success treating mild shin pain with ice packs but I'm told the way to really knock it on the head is with ice baths after running. I found this online:
    https://www.physique.co.uk/dolc_product.asp?PCId=426

But fifty quid is a lot of cash for what looks suspiciously like a small plastic tub. Anyone out there found a cheap alternative?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

erm... plastic bucket full of ice? just a thought.

3. Sounds obvious, but it doesn't work. My foot is too long to sit on the bottom and my lower leg is too long to submerge up to the knee. I really want to dip the whole shin bone.

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

a really big bucket then?? :roll:

5. We use ice baths at my rugby club. They're big green flip top bins!

[​IMG]

We have a huge ice machine like you would have in a nightclub and fill it about half way up with about 30-70 ice and water.

Why not buy a cheep plastic kitchen bin and do the same thing? I'm sure if you looked around you could get one that you could stick both legs in for about £20.

Good luck!

6. Kitchen bin... why didn't I think of that? Thanks pal.

7. I've been considering the same thing, but for a full body ice bath.

The only thing is how do I fill the thing up without it costing a arm and a leg each time.

Would a hose pipe and say 3 kg of ice do the trick (how much is ice, like £1 a kg from asda).

8. I was given an ice bath once, many years ago in the gulf. (50+ %) in the shade.
    Had laryngitis and they had to get my temperature down?
    Needless to say, but will.
    The shock of it worked.
    Thank you PFA. :twisted:

9. Well for a leg bath I've heard that a couple of frozen small bottles of water work like big ice cubes. You could try more and bigger bottles?

10. wheelie bin or bags of ice in bath in the loo

11. Norgie should do it with the added bonus the ice should remain pretty......mmm...ice like until required!

12. Good thinking.

Some 2 litre bottles of coke would probably do it if there's room if the freezer.

13. Everytime I come in from a run I half fill the bath with freezing cold water and sit in it for about 15,20 mins and I think it has worked wonders with any aches and pains I used to get :D Give it a go,its a bit rough getting in but once your in its dead on.

14. I've heard a lot of good things regarding ice baths after intense training to decrease inflammation.

Part of me is thinking of joining a better gym to get access to a plunge pool. Train, Sauna, plunge pool.

15. Heart attack? 8O