Kit Reviews IBJ's 1:35 Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Recovery Truck

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
35029.jpg

IBJ 1:35 scale Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Recovery Truck

The Scammell Pioneer was a British 6x4 tractor used in the Second World War as recovery vehicle, artillery tractor, and tank transporter. All Pioneers in British Army were equipped with a 102 HP Gardner 6-cylinder diesel engine, rear-wheels drive, and a power winch. Introduced in 1935, the version R100 heavy artillery tractor was used in World War II to tow medium and heavy artillery. 980 Pioneers R100 were produced to the end of the war. From 1936 the British Army began to receive 43 Pioneer heavy recovery vehicles SV1S. Many of these SV1S and R100 vehicles were lost in France in June 1940, destroyed by the withdrawing troops or captured by the Germans. The version SV2S had a redesigned crane with greater lifting height and was introduced in 1938. A total of 1,975 SV2S were built. Delivery of the tank transporter began in 1937. This variant was equipped with a longer chassis for an extended cab to accommodate the tank crew. 459 Scammells in this variant were produced.

The IBJ 1/35 scale Scammell Pioneer SV2S heavy recovery has had reams of reports, reviews and comments made about it. Leaving that aside, I intend reviewing the model as I bought it.
First up, the box. This is a large box and it is packed to the top with kit parts. There are 16 individually wrapped sprues of yellow plastic. This is followed by the tyres, a clear sprue with windscreen and a Photo-etched sheet. Also included, are a set of decals that cover all bases for me. There are decals for British REME 7 Armd Div, a Polish Recovery Unit, a German Afrika Korps unit, a Russian unit and a South African Recovery Unit.

The plastic sprues are good quality, as far as I could make out, there was no flash at all and, happily, no sink holes in any of the larger pieces. There are the inevitable mould release pin marks on the inside of most of the panels, fortunately, only a few require the assistance of some filler. There is also no warping to the chassis or other long parts.

The instructions come in an excellent booklet, comprising 20 pages. The first four pages are identifying the sprues and parts. The last five pages cover the painting schemes and decal placement. The actual kit making instructions are done in a series of sub-assemblies which gives you time to detail paint the parts which won't be spray painted. The printing is of very good quality, using good CAD pictures with icon instructions. Any written instructions are in English and Polish.

This is a beautiful kit with plenty of detail. I have made the resin version of it and feel this is far superior. It is big, it is superbly detailed and it is great fun to build. I could find no fault with it at all.
A well presented model that is bound to appeal to Modeller's of a medium to high skill level. This is a model that cries out for the addition of a few crew members and a wreck.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5

The Wheels in Motion series of books has an excellent work that can be used in conjunction with this kit.

View attachment 350852
IBJ 1:35 scale Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Recovery Truck

The Scammell Pioneer was a British 6x4 tractor used in the Second World War as recovery vehicle, artillery tractor, and tank transporter. All Pioneers in British Army were equipped with a 102 HP Gardner 6-cylinder diesel engine, rear-wheels drive, and a power winch. Introduced in 1935, the version R100 heavy artillery tractor was used in World War II to tow medium and heavy artillery. 980 Pioneers R100 were produced to the end of the war. From 1936 the British Army began to receive 43 Pioneer heavy recovery vehicles SV1S. Many of these SV1S and R100 vehicles were lost in France in June 1940, destroyed by the withdrawing troops or captured by the Germans. The version SV2S had a redesigned crane with greater lifting height and was introduced in 1938. A total of 1,975 SV2S were built. Delivery of the tank transporter began in 1937. This variant was equipped with a longer chassis for an extended cab to accommodate the tank crew. 459 Scammells in this variant were produced.

The IBJ 1/35 scale Scammell Pioneer SV2S heavy recovery has had reams of reports, reviews and comments made about it. Leaving that aside, I intend reviewing the model as I bought it.
First up, the box. This is a large box and it is packed to the top with kit parts. There are 16 individually wrapped sprues of yellow plastic. This is followed by the tyres, a clear sprue with windscreen and a Photo-etched sheet. Also included, are a set of decals that cover all bases for me. There are decals for British REME 7 Armd Div, a Polish Recovery Unit, a German Afrika Korps unit, a Russian unit and a South African Recovery Unit.

The plastic sprues are good quality, as far as I could make out, there was no flash at all and, happily, no sink holes in any of the larger pieces. There are the inevitable mould release pin marks on the inside of most of the panels, fortunately, only a few require the assistance of some filler. There is also no warping to the chassis or other long parts.

The instructions come in an excellent booklet, comprising 20 pages. The first four pages are identifying the sprues and parts. The last five pages cover the painting schemes and decal placement. The actual kit making instructions are done in a series of sub-assemblies which gives you time to detail paint the parts which won't be spray painted. The printing is of very good quality, using good CAD pictures with icon instructions. Any written instructions are in English and Polish.

This is a beautiful kit with plenty of detail. I have made the resin version of it and feel this is far superior. It is big, it is superbly detailed and it is great fun to build. I could find no fault with it at all.
A well presented model that is bound to appeal to Modeller's of a medium to high skill level. This is a model that cries out for the addition of a few crew members and a wreck.
Overall rating: 5 out of 5

The Wheels in Motion series of books has an excellent work that can be used in conjunction with this kit.
Great review @smeg-head