Ibexes pictures

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by DavidBOC, Dec 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A cousin found these pics and forwarded them to me. Taken at the Diga del Cingino dam in northern Italy.

Amazing pictures I think. Love the one of the female at the end watching the photographer.

Cingino1.jpg

Cingino2.jpg

cingino3.jpg

Cingino4.jpg

Cingino5.jpg

No idea how they get a foothold.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bloody amazing!

3. I was not sure where to post it but figured out hunting as it involves goats. In that first picture the tiny dots on the dam are ibexes. Not a beast we have in the US Makes me a bit dizzy just looking at them.

Lovely area of Italy, took the son skiing in Brueil-Cervinia about 10 years ago.

4. Either here or the Relationship Forum.

What do they climb up there for - I can't see any vegetation worth the effort of the climb.

5. I wondered that - I can only assume that there's salt leaching out of the rocks.

6. Pigshyte - Mark hit the nail on the head. Apparently mineral salts leach out of the rocks. Much like deer being attracted to salt blocks tied to trees.

7. Pictures of these Ibexes (Ibexii? :)) were used as a trailer for a "Doomsday-End-of-the-World-as-we-know-it" programme on the History Channel or NGC as examples of "unusual animal behaviour" along with raining fish and dead bird plagues which means the end is nigh. The actual programme probably explained it all, but I just can't be bothered........

• Like Like x 1
  8. I checked an online English dictionary which said Ibexes which seemed wrong to me as I knew it was a Latin work. Just checked my Latin dictionary which my dad bought for me over 50 years ago and the plural of Ibex is Ibicis. (I hope you know you made me take a trip upstairs to find the dictionary)

As to Doomsday, maybe the Mayan's were right. I may not get to deliver all those presents but then again I don't have to worry about the balance on my VISA card either.

9. Thank you for that research. If it comes up as an answer in the Torygraph cryptic crossword I am now prepared for it. Maybe the clue could be: "One disposal razor is a dam' close shave for several mountain goats"......

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Then why not as in sheep just Ibex?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Quite a good point. In Latin the plural of index in indicis however the -es spelling may be part of index becoming a regularly used word in English. As Ibex is used in the scientific definition perhaps it keeps the Latin spelling.

I can assure you I will not go out on that damn dam to ask an ibex as looking at the pics gives me vertigo.

12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Just call them goats and be done with it...

13. Mad goats more like. I wouldn't do that.

• Like Like x 1