Ian Gibson MP resigns with immediate effect

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archimedes, Jun 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems that Ian Gibson, having been deselected by the Labour Star Chamber has decided to quite immediately, forcing a by-election...

Just what Gordon wants...

2. Off the top of my head, doesn't a by-election have to be held within 30 days when Parliament is in session?

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Teddy bear pram etc

Shouldn't have been caught with his hand in the cookie jar then should he?

Oh dear how sad!

4. The dam is about to crack....

5. Gremlin

Dimblebloke has just said that it could be at the end of the summer resess if the Government so wishes.

6. From recollection, I dont think so, DB. You might be thinking of the convention that a by-election is held within 3 months, but it's not a legal requirement. As you know it is up to the Chief Whip of the party which formerly held the seat to initiate the procedure.

7. The process for initiating a by-election must be started within 3 months.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections/by_elections.cfm

8. Tony Macnulty has just stepped down as employment minister too.
    It appear to be all going belly up......

9. I thought it would be fudged like that as the timing was right to take it into the Summer Recess, but I couldn't find anything online to confirm my thoughts.

10. No matter what Ian Gibson did with expenses - which was pretty dodgy, but by no means the worst - he's a fecking good chap, one of the few straight talking MPs and one of the very few in any party I'd vote for at the drop of a hat (the rest of the list being William Hague, Patrick Mercer, Boris Johnson and a labour one I can't remember(.

He's miffed because the "star chamber" is just a kangeroo court designed to try and satisfy demand by kicking a couple out without genuinely changing the system for the better. Can't we persuade Charles Clarke from Norwich South to resign and Ian Gibson can stay? I've voted against TCC twice so far in my shortish time here and the nasty piece of work continues to cling to his position like dog turd to the sole of your shoe.

11. Ah, that's it - I knew there was a "3" in there somewhere! :D

Cheers for the link - I was Googling madly and nothing helpful came up!

12. This is absolutely mental! What a day, nulab imploding in spectacular style :D

13. For your consideration I give you: Bob Marshall-Andrews, Frank Field and Kate Hoey.

14. Gremlin

Agreed
    I would defend Kate Hoey to the hilt. She is my MP and absolutely brilliant both in the Commons and in her Constituency!

15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Hoons stepped down as well according to the times.