IAN DUNCAN SMITH IN TROUBLE

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by babiesarm, Oct 28, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whether he wins or loses will make no difference.

This whole thing is driven by Tories, and others, who are rampant Europhiles and are shiitting themselves in case the Tories get in with IDS at the head of them, because they know their Euro dream would be dropped like a hot stone.

2. Michael Portaloo gets my vote. Had tea with him in Belfast, charming man.

3. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

but he's a poofter

4. I would support Potaloo too, apart from two things.

First, he's a backstabber and Europhile, and second, he lost his seat in 1997, making him damaged goods being flown in to a safe Tory seat in 2001.

It's funny, but the man with the best profile with the electorate, seen as one of the most honest in Parliament, and also very popular with the Tory PP, is Hague, who I thought should have stayed in the job. From day one he showed Bliar for what he was. I would ove to see him back as leader, and now the 1997 dust has settled he could walk the next election, has the right views on Europe, is considered honest, has a safe seat he has always had, and would kick Bliar out. :D

5. From NZoom New Zealand News only yesterday -

The National Party [Conservitive Party] has ousted leader Bill English by a narrow vote at its special caucus meeting in Wellington, electing Don Brash as its third leader in two years.

Party president Judy Kirk says she is pleased the leadership wrangles have been resolved.

Kirk says she is confident the Caucus will now be unified and will begin to expose the "multiple failings of the Labour government".

http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,231553-1-8,00.html

6. [quote="Shotgun]
    First, he's a backstabber and Europhile, and second, he lost his seat in 1997, making him damaged goods being flown in to a safe Tory seat in 2001.[/quote]

Backstabber...?Possibly,Sh*tstabber yes. well 20 years ago...

Europhile ...?NO. very anti the European Project, despite a Spanish Leftwing father.

Being flown into a safe Tory seat in 2001 makes him damaged goods....? Possibly, but more likely is that he is actually quite popular nationally esp after his several series of TV programs,, but hated within the Westminster Party because hes popular and a self publicist, and the old dears in the constituencies islike him because of sh*tstabbing past.

but if the Tories had an instinct for winning they would choose him or Clarke and grin through gritted teeth. No-One ELSE IN THE TORY PARTY HAS A CHANCE OF COMING CLOSE TO bLAIR.goD HELP US.

And Harold Macmillan was expelled from Eton for buggery, and that didnt stop him serving in the Guards, or being a Tory PM !!!!!

7. Backstabber...?Possibly,Sh*tstabber yes. well 20 years ago...

Europhile ...?NO. very anti the European Project, despite a Spanish Leftwing father.

Being flown into a safe Tory seat in 2001 makes him damaged goods....? Possibly, but more likely is that he is actually quite popular nationally esp after his several series of TV programs,, but hated within the Westminster Party because hes popular and a self publicist, and the old dears in the constituencies islike him because of sh*tstabbing past.

but if the Tories had an instinct for winning they would choose him or Clarke and grin through gritted teeth. No-One ELSE IN THE TORY PARTY HAS A CHANCE OF COMING CLOSE TO bLAIR.goD HELP US.

And Harold Macmillan was expelled from Eton for buggery, and that didnt stop him serving in the Guards, or being a Tory PM !!!!![/quote]

Prtaloo is a rampant puff, yes, but while he is anti-European project, he is very much pro Europe and sees our place as part of Europe. Portillo is popular nationally? You could have fooled me.

Neither Portillo or Clarke would make the Tories anymore palatable. Clarke is now too old, and far too pro-Euro. If he hadn't been so pro-Euor Clarke would be leader now. There are many people within the Tory ranks who could get Blair, but while-ever they have this infighting no-one has a chance, and there are at the moment too many factions in the Tories. Blair is now one of the most unpopular mp's, and that will only grow worse for him. Bliar is pure hype and marketing.

As for MacMillan, if the Uk electorate had been as well informed as they are now, he wouldn't have made parliament, let alone PM.

8. HMMMM, mostly true !! could possibly be persuaded on the rest.

at the moment Howard is favourite.(but hes Welsh!! ) Well he WONT win the election, so maybe Portillo is biding his time, or is so egotistical that he wants the Party to come and beg him to be leader...

9. I think Howard, without a doubt, would be the interim leader, and I really do think Hague could come back; it's that sort of funny thing that they need to grab the headlines and he'll keep roughly to what IDS has planned, which was very good and popular. Hague is now more mature and many people nationally now see it as a pity he quit when he did. They're now used to the baldy buggger with the funny voice, as opposed to the smarmy git image of Bliar, which was very refreshing at the time but is now discredited, along with him. The country and electorate isn't swayed by the image makers anymore, in fact the opposite.

Hague may well be the man, and he's still very young, so maybe next time, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

A pro-European Tory leader won't emerge because he/she wouldn't get the support, so forget the likes of Clarke.

10. The tory party is made up of the old and or the mad go to a local tory do and your see for yourself.
    blair would have to take to eating babies to make them electable.
    Its like looking at a mirror image of Labour in the 80's except with out the mad policys and idelogical struggle just 165 MPs who've resigned themselves to not getting into power and a fighting each over. Its pathetic now part of me loves it as I think torys are scum But an oppostion is suppoused to oppose the goverment of the day not itself.
    Hauge seemed like a much nicer guy once no longer leader IDS seems decent but stabbed in the back.

11. Why do you think Tory's are scum? (this should be interesting... :D ) and how old are you?

12. I agree about Hague, he doesn't look half as bad now compared to Bliar as he did. As Tony's glamour has started to slip people are now looking for someone who seems honest and what better than a Yorkshireman. Added to that he used to take Blair apart at PMQs almost every week. This is one area where IDS fails conspicuously, yes he and the shadow cabinet have some pretty good ideas but somehow thay can't get them across. That said it's pretty sensible not to reveal policies too early, because Blairs lot will simply steal them and claim that they're theirs.

Portillo can't do it he's seen as just too slippery.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 35
    lets think the railways, arms for iraq prepared to send people to jail rather than tell the truth, archer, options for change, need I go on

14. Maybe so, but he's quite a sincere man. He's quite passionate about his politics and would certainly do a better job then IDS and Blairwitch.