Ian Carmichael dies.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by RP578, Feb 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Starred in two of my all time fave films, School for Scoundrels and I'm Alright Jack. Of note, he commissioned into the 22nd Dragoons during WWII.

Obit in the Telegraph

2. I loved the old comedies he was in and he was really great in the Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Whimsey series. I never knew he served in the army but his generation almost all served.

His acting brought a lot of smiles and laughs to a lot of people.

RIP

3. (web source)

4. A great actor and a very sad loss.

RIP

5. School for scoundrels was one of my favourite films of all time, a sad loss as he was a genuine british gem.

6. Made me laugh when I read one of his obituaries, it said son of a shop keeper. Only one of the largest high class stores in Hull with it's own jewellers.

7. Also in The Colditz Story if I remember correctly. 89 isn`t a bad innings.

8. ..think I'll watch School for Scoundrels tonight in his honour with a wee glass of malt....great chap!

9. A tremendous actor who, I believe, lived just outside of Whitby on the N. York Moors?

I remember him as the quintessential 'Bertie Wooster' with Dennis Price as Jeeves in the 60'ies (both far better than Fry and Laurie).

Apparently a true gentleman, and a great loss.

10. Dennis Price, one of the under-rated greats of British cinema, who like Ian Carmichael could be guarenteed to give a first rate performance.

Another great of that era, still with us though not still acting or directing; Lionel Jeffries.