• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Ian Blair slates Boris about political control over police

#1
HERE
From The Times
November 28, 2008
Sir Ian Blair squares up to Mayor Boris Johnson on last day as police chief
Sean O’Neill, Crime Editor

British police chiefs should not be routinely sacked at the whim of politicians, Sir Ian Blair said as he leaves his Scotland Yard office for the last time.

Sir Ian attacked the man who forced his resignation, Boris Johnson, the Conservative Mayor of London, for making “a very political move” that could destabilise the Police Service. He said that London should not become like American cities where politicians exerted huge control over police departments.

The comments by Sir Ian, in his final interview as Metropolitan Police Commissioner, come at a time when all the three main parties are planning to increase political control of the police.

The outgoing commissioner confirmed that he believed he was going to “a routine meeting” on October 1, only to be told that the mayor had lost confidence in his leadership of the country’s largest police force. “From my point of view, he made clear that he didn’t want me to remain and it became apparent that what would happen if I stayed was we would leave the Met at war with its own [police] authority,” Sir Ian said. “I see myself as the steward of this office and it’s important if the organisation is to avoid damage for the steward to step down.”

Sir Ian added that although he had the “full backing” of Jacqui Smith, the Home Secretary, he felt that it would be impossible to stay in his job. He said: “You can’t have a position where you have a chief officer of police in a position where the chair of the [police] authority is announcing that he has insufficient confidence in him. It just does not work and I don’t know how the organisation would then have actually managed to do its business around money and policy and strategy.”

Sir Ian said he was concerned that the current political situation – in which the commissioner has to answer to a Labour Home Secretary and a Tory mayor – could destabilise the Met. He added: “It was a very political move [by Mr Johnson] and it’s kind of an imitation of New York and one of the things that does concern me is that during the 20th century I understand there were 16 Met commissioners and there were 40 [police chiefs] in New York and they came and went at the direction of the mayor.

“That’s not the British system. It doesn’t take sufficient account of the other burdens of this office in terms of national security and I hope it’s something that won’t be repeated.”
Sir Ian cautioned that his successor might be subjected to the same political turbulence. He said: “I think somebody is going to have to look at the legislation because it’s quite easy to imagine it happening exactly the other way around in four or eight years time and I don’t think that’s a good plan.”

At his final meeting of the Metropolitan Police Authority yesterday, Sir Ian confronted the mayor with his concerns. He told Mr Johnson: “Whoever comes next will need you to understand that they need your support, not uncritical but unequivocal, as is the case at every other police authority between the chief and the chair.” He added: “The job has always been difficult but I think the position that has been reached where the Home Secretary and mayor are from different parties adds a new dimension.”

Sir Ian also predicted that he would be “fully exonerated” by the inquiry into the award of Scotland Yard contracts to a friend. He admitted he had been “discourteous” in not informing a former attorney-general that he had taped their telephone conversation and that it had been unnecessary to mention the Soham murders when talking about media crime coverage.
“If, out of the thousands and thousands of column inches that have been written about me, there are three or four things that I’ve said wrong, well, OK, but I’m not superhuman,” he said.
 
#2
Is he taking the p!ss? "London should not become like American cities where politicians exerted huge control over police departments."

This, from the most politicised commissioner the Met's ever had.
 
#3
Step 1 - remove the burden of National Security and givie it to somebody else. WTF should National security be a police matter -

"Oh you know they are breaking the law"

- so was Adolf!
 
#4
I thought it fairly ironic on the day the Police arrest an MP for simply doing what MP's are supposed to.
Coupled to the fact that Blair kissed the arse of the Labour Government in a most undignified manner and had more to do with politicising the Police than any other Senior Police Officer kind of makes everything he says on the matter a great steaming pile of bollox.
Good ridance to the man, shame we will have to apy the fekkers pension.
 
#5
Fcuk me!! He thinks he "may have said three or four things wrong." We'll just forget about shooting unarmed Brazilians, giving contracts to your mates and offending the parents of the girls murdered in Soham. What a monumental tw@t. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Personally, I 'd like to see our Police being far more accountable than they are at present. If we're not careful, they could start acting like forces in Latin America and arresting people from the opposition.
 
#6
Toasted_Giant said:
Personally, I 'd like to see our Police being far more accountable than they are at present. If we're not careful, they could start acting like forces in Latin America and arresting people from the opposition.
I would like to see Chief Constable elected much the same as Sheriff's in the USA
It would put an end to lunatics like Brunstrom believing themselves and making a mockery of what the law is supposed to be.

We couldn't possibly reach the stage where the Police starting arresting MP's that oppose the governent, don't be silly.......
 
#7
an incredibly arrogant man who has tied his flag to the Liabour mast! whilst they are in power he will be safe (and enjoying his massive payout).

watch out for appointments to government commissions or on the Board of companies loyal to the Brown/Blair project.
 
#8
jagman said:
Toasted_Giant said:
Personally, I 'd like to see our Police being far more accountable than they are at present. If we're not careful, they could start acting like forces in Latin America and arresting people from the opposition.
I would like to see Chief Constable elected much the same as Sheriff's in the USA
It would put an end to lunatics like Brunstrom believing themselves and making a mockery of what the law is supposed to be.

We couldn't possibly reach the stage where the Police starting arresting MP's that oppose the governent, don't be silly.......
Apologies Jagman. I realise I was over the top due to Blair's article annoying me. I will try to post more rationally in future.
 
#9
Inspector of Constabulary job for him at the very least. maybe something at Brussels A present from Liabour.
 
#10
Toasted_Giant said:
jagman said:
Toasted_Giant said:
Personally, I 'd like to see our Police being far more accountable than they are at present. If we're not careful, they could start acting like forces in Latin America and arresting people from the opposition.
I would like to see Chief Constable elected much the same as Sheriff's in the USA
It would put an end to lunatics like Brunstrom believing themselves and making a mockery of what the law is supposed to be.

We couldn't possibly reach the stage where the Police starting arresting MP's that oppose the governent, don't be silly.......
Apologies Jagman. I realise I was over the top due to Blair's article annoying me. I will try to post more rationally in future.
You may be advised to do so.
It appears that you genuinely can now be arrested and banged up for the evening if you dissent from Mr Browns opinion on anything.
And not a tinfoil hat in sight.......
 
#11
MODS. This thread should be locked or binned. The very suggestion that Our Glorious Leader or The Party have any influence over our trusted and totally independent police force is outrageous.

No doubt it will soon emerge that Green was an Enemy of the People determined to destroy the revolution. But our kindly and benevolent Leader will have him re-educated and open his eyes to the wondrous future in store for us all.

We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
hahahahahahahahah!!!!! :D

SIR Ian Blair, political appointee of the Lablair Party, and stooge of Tony Bliar, loudly applauding Labliar policies is upset because he says that BORIS is being political with the fuzz!?!?!?
 
#13
Interesting article by Andrew Gilligan on the Evening Standard website.

Goodbye Sir Ian Blair - we won't miss you.

I think he's right on the money with this: "Some of the lessons from Sir Ian are obvious enough. Police chiefs have to be highly politically skilled, without (and this is part of the skill) looking overtly political. Sir Ian got it the wrong way round: he was overtly political, without being at all politically skilled."
 
#15
I think I spotted a slight typo in the article, so I've corrected it.

I should not be routinely sacked for being an incompetent arrse, Sir Ian Blair said as he leaves his Scotland Yard office for the last time.
 
#16
Biped said:
hahahahahahahahah!!!!! :D

SIR Ian Blair, political appointee of the Lablair Party, and stooge of Tony Bliar, loudly applauding Labliar policies is upset because he says that BORIS is being political with the fuzz!?!?!?
:D :D :D :D
 
#17
Good riddance to a hugely disliked, within and without the Met, disgraced by the shooting dead of an innocent man, distrusted because of the perception of his political preference, grossly over-promoted policeman.

Well done Mr. Johnson - well done indeed.
 
#18
Its interesting how he and every other chief Plod has never had the balls to challenge Political intervention into how the Police is run until after they have been booted out/left.

The day a Chief Police officer challenges the government on this subject in a meaningful and determined way will be the day that Gordon Broon will eat his own face.
 
#19
The man is a cnut

Simple as.

The breathtaking double standards displayed in this statement are astounding.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top