i2 Analyst's Notebook/Sentinel Visualizer for a Human Rights Charity?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by HumanRightsNGO, Mar 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I'm working with a new human rights NGO that hoovers up a lot of information about events, victims, perpetrators etc in a number of unpleasent countries. Most NGO's tend not to manage this information very well so we are looking to do better by looking at how people in policing/intelligence roles do this.

We've come across i2 Analyst's Notebook and the Sentinel Visualizer products and it seems perfect for what we do but it's eye-wateringly expensive for a charity. Can anyone recommend anything that is opensource or alot cheaper that fullfills many of the same functions?

Many regards.

2. I'm no expert but, you could look into getting secure servers and run a relatively powerful SQL/PHP based database. Search around the net for server side open source databases. I'll have a look myself and PM you. I dont know if it'll do the job you want but it may be worth a look.

My force uses an intelligence database that is hugely complicated to use quickly and efficiently purely because of the amount of criteria that is used and the way by which information is stored.

You should think how'd you want to view the information you have and you want to be able to search through it all. Good luck!

3. Hi Human

Your thread is of particular interest, as I work for i2 as part of their defence team. Would you like to PM with some further details and name of the NGO

Nick

4. another lurker nudged out into the open! :)

5. How about Octave, the Open Source version of Matlab?

Octave

6. Not sure it does quite the same thing. I2 (and equivalents) are all about recording and visualising connections between individual data elements, rather than doing calculations.

7. P cards? You write the name at the top then put the date in the first column and the source in the next column ...

... nurse!

8. There used to be, in the late 80s, this amazing whizzy GSFG database, running on some steam-powered computer, roughly the size of a small car and with many flashing lights - and hence, hyper modern - our German colleagues' equivalent of which was a huge card index and a Hauptfeldwebel who'd managed it for 25 years. Unsurprisingly, he was very much more efficient than the technology.

9. Indeed it was, parked downstairs in Z Corridor in the Big House.

10. Thanks for the answers so far guys. Arrse is always useful. Can anyone else offer other solutions?

Many regards,
    HRNGO

11. Christ, I was building up to hyperventilation and flashing behind the eyes until the antipodean brought this back to Earth. I imagine that 'systems' like those mentioned above are fabulous for inspecting the links among groups of oh, a few thousand and more, but there was a time when it was acknowledged that the human brain was pretty good at it, too.

There was a huge mechanical card system in Berlin, too, tended by a mad divorcee who wouldn't let any of the hormonally overactive Section operators near it (but she wasn't OOB herself)(so I'm told). They brought in a RAF computer programmer creature to oversee the transfer of all the information on it, plus the vast collection of files in the strongroom, to a new useless grey thing with a black VDU. The useless thing didn't work, and the operators continued their efforts to outflank the divorcee.

...Edit: use some sort of spreadsheet with custom graphing if you must. Remotely.

12. Who can remember the original trials for Wavell that we were invited to crash as often as we could back in Farnborough around 78 I think (But it could have been earlier). There were about a dozen of us from Group at the time using a commercially purchased 1st generation system which bore no relation to the heavily armoured and screened system that appeared in the Panzers and Box Bodies with CPUs taking up the whole of a Bleep Land Rover, including the passenger seats in the front.

13. Thanks for the random history...

Any chance we can please get back to the topic at hand?

14. Y'know, I drafted and deleted at least three responses to that. One was sniffy, one was funny, one was downright rude. On reflection, I'll leave you to reflect on what was dissonant about your post.