I would have been a General if only....

I don't think this has been done before but an interesting story from The Times last week:

The Times - Former officer sues army for £1.5m over her ‘lost career’, 23.03.20

An army officer is suing Defence chiefs for £1.5 million over claims that poor rifle training caused an accident which ended her high-flying military career. Catherine Braddick-Hughes, 50, served in the army for 22 years until her medical discharge in 2018 and claims that she was likely to have been promoted to general had she not been injured through alleged negligence.

A court was told today that she was a stellar soldier who was wounded twice in combat in Bosnia and Afghanistan. Ms Braddick-Hughes had risen to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the Army Legal Corps after she qualified as a solicitor in 1993.

She suffered acute back injuries and leg damage after fighting in Afghanistan and was also diagnosed with post-traumatic stress syndrome. During the Balkan crisis she had been badly concussed after an incident while serving in Bosnia.

But Central London county heard that her career ended after she suffered a shoulder injury while training on at a firing-range incident in 2013. Lawyers for Lt-Col Braddick-Hughes told that court that she was severely injured when a sniper rifle recoiled into her shoulder.

She claims that officers in charge of the training should have done more to ensure that she was properly prepared for the firing exercise.

However, the Ministry of Defence is defending the legal action, saying that it is a “complex claim”. Army lawyers told the court that it is disputed that the firing range incident ended Lt-Col Braddick-Hughes’ career and that the ministry should not be held responsible for her injuries. They told the court that the army accepted that Lt-Col Braddick-Hughes suffered from several health conditions but they argued that “it is unclear the extent to which they all played a part in the eventual discharge decision”.

Charlotte Ventham, for the ministry, highlighted medical evidence that she said suggested that Ms Braddock-Hughes had been suffering from PTSD for some time and added: “At the moment we have our doctor saying that her PTSD made her unfit for military service. A key question for the judge to decide, Ms Ventham said, was whether “absent the shoulder injury she was fit to remain in service”. She said the accident on the firing range was “not foreseeable”.

There are 13 female general officers in the British Army, ranked brigadier or higher, the first having been appointed in 2015.

Judge Alan Saggerson adjourned the case for lawyers to gather more medical evidence. No date has yet been fixed for the full trial of her damages claim.

I used to know a lot of Army lawyers - I don't remember any of them indulging in 'combat' or being WIA. Of course it might be absolutely pukka but it doesn't ring true to me...

I don't think a 50 year old Lt Col is on track for General rank either!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why the fork is a lawyer Lt Col firing a sniper rifle?

Edited to add: I'm sure she has completed mandated MATTs annually as well as OPTAG and deployment training for the tours, so...

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't think a 50 year old Lt Col is on track for General rank either!
I'm taking it as she's 50 now but at the time of the rifle incident would have been a Lt Col at 43. Although as you also note, what on Earth is an Army lawyer doing being 'wounded twice in combat'?

Mildly curious, but how were her "war wounds" caused? The descriptions are a bit vague, and those descriptions could apply to someone who fell while exiting a shower (in both theatres).

I'm taking it as she's 50 now but at the time of the rifle incident would have been a Lt Col at 43. Although as you also note, what on Earth is an Army lawyer doing being 'wounded twice in combat'?

Battlefield tourism usually.

We had a 'very senior*' nurse who went on a jolly to a couple of FOBs or PB's by foot where they came under some 'close scrutiny' from 'the indigenous population'. During this exchange of 'harsh words' and 'kinetic consumables' our hero 'misplaced' an important piece of equipment.

a Sig.

*there were none senior to him in that particular field as far as I'm aware

Last edited:

CC_TA

LE
When it says Lawyer 'wounded twice in combat & using sniper rifle' I visualise a range jolly when a dumb **** fails to utilise their marksmanship principles.

If it was an L96 then you must be weak as a weak thing or a complete ******* retard to get a recoil injury.*

* Eye Relief Pirate is the only exception. I have seen some very well trained lads and lasses with the S&B semi-circle of oops.

Last edited:
Well it would seem that all those years of 'lawyering' is set to pay off, gamekeeper turned poacher style. I am guessing that the sniper rifle incident was her begging for a cabby on a range day, rather than being compelled.

What’s the highest rank an Officer serving in the ALS has reached?

What’s the highest rank an Officer serving in the ALS has reached?
Two star - they had the distinction of the first female General a couple of years back, closely followed by the Royal Signals (don’t know much about the ALS one, but the latter happens to be a class act, widely respected).

She must have passed a WHT to be on the range.

There are tables where you can work out "predicted rank" from a set of variables (age promoted, length of service, career path selected). These are held tighter than FMC's "full capitation" tables.

I've heard of them being used for NSMBOS for discharge when the Service was at fault.

in the latter years of the conflict all patrols would include a combat barrister who was there to advise commanders, in real time, as to whether or not they were legally justified in opening fire. in addition to this whilst the unit conducted any searches they were there to ascertain whether or not any of the locals present had recently been involved in an accident that may not have been their fault.

Last edited:

Latest Threads