I wonder......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by lifesabummer, Sep 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lots of worried looking people about these days with massive cuts inbound accross the Army. My question is this, i wonder if someone who is a UK born soldier is given a brown letter, would that person have a case against HMG with an employment tribunal with the amount of Commenwealth Soldiers that are in the Army.

I suppose this is the same argument as with getting rid of the RGR instead of anyone of the line battalions.

Any thoughts
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why? I presume that if you are given a brown envelope, that there's a reason for it. Similarly, if one of our commonwealth bretheren didn't receive an envelope, there would be a reason for that too.

One important concept to remember with redundancy; it's not the individual, it's the post. To ensure that redundancies are minimised, you trim the dead wood first.

Just because you're born here, it doesn't automatically follow that you're not part of the tree that needs to be trimmed.

You feeling vulnerable?
  3. On the other hand, if the Gurkha was sacked despite being an excellent soldier when some fat Brit slacker was kept on solely because of nationality, it'd be a) a bloody poor show b) damned bad for the Army c) illegal and d) trebles all round down the Nepali Arms once HMG had finished handing out the compensation.
  4. I wonder.......

If MOD will seize the chance to score an own goal and send the 'brown envelopes' out to units on a tour?

(Sigh) probably.
  5. Precisely. That's the big difference when it comes to tribunals.
  6. I wonder what the consequences of that would be.

Putting myself in that situation, I can't imagine I'd continue to risk my neck on top cover if I'd just been fired.