I wish I was an Apache Pilot

Excellent shooting. Nice to see the dog had more sense than them as well!

better than being a Lynx pilot - he'll have had to go tech after contact and spend a few days in a 5 star hotel!

Having passed the basic aptitude test for the US Army with flying colours, my son (ex ACC !) was given a choice of prime trades and chose helicopter pilot. Turned out he couldn't do that because he only had a green card and wasn't a citizen. But he could be a crew chief on Apaches - which he did. The Master Sergeant at the recruiting office was baffled by his question 'If as an alien and a pilot you think I might sabotage an Apache, won't it be much easier and safer to do so as i/c maintenance'. Military logic doncha just love it ? He also says that basic as an ACC apprentice was tougher than US Army basic AND he got three medals without going anywhere near a war zone.

Having passed the basic aptitude test for the US Army with flying colours, my son (ex ACC !) was given a choice of prime trades and chose helicopter pilot. Turned out he couldn't do that because he only had a green card and wasn't a citizen. But he could be a crew chief on Apaches - which he did. The Master Sergeant at the recruiting office was baffled by his question 'If as an alien and a pilot you think I might sabotage an Apache, won't it be much easier and safer to do so as i/c maintenance'. Military logic doncha just love it ? He also says that basic as an ACC apprentice was tougher than US Army basic
Its true, we sent a Kid to Air Assault school and he was honor graduate. less than a Month later he was refused re-enlistment as he was an Irish Citizen still. Now the US Army knew he wasn't going to be able to re-up but sent him to a school anyway with all its associated costs in TDY pay. As for Basic it is just that one low standard for Initial entry training.

AND he got three medals without going anywhere near a war zone.
Queens jubilee medals anyone?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Having passed the basic aptitude test for the US Army with flying colours, my son (ex ACC !) was given a choice of prime trades and chose helicopter pilot. Turned out he couldn't do that because he only had a green card and wasn't a citizen. But he could be a crew chief on Apaches - which he did. The Master Sergeant at the recruiting office was baffled by his question 'If as an alien and a pilot you think I might sabotage an Apache, won't it be much easier and safer to do so as i/c maintenance'. Military logic doncha just love it ? He also says that basic as an ACC apprentice was tougher than US Army basic AND he got three medals without going anywhere near a war zone.

Ex ACC you say? Good egg; talk about going from the frying pan to the fire! Well done him.

So, your son was ex Army Catering Corps? An unusual career change from frying chips to flying choppers. Still, I wish him all the best.
In his 8 year ACC career he rose to the dizzy heights of l/cpl. Still, he learnt to ski expertly at the Army's expense (including heli-skiing in Canada). learn fluent German from a succession of tasty local girlfriends, had some tasty postings and finished as Officers mess cook to the Kings Troop RHA. Invalided out of the US Army he has pursued a career in various foreign climes as an airline despatcher and is now at 53 - I am delighted say - doing the same back here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gussie Fink-Nottle The NAAFI Bar 27
supermatelot Military History and Militaria 85
Swoop The NAAFI Bar 2