I wasnt going to post about this but...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nehustan, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Demand over Charles's faith role

Prince Charles should be defender of the Christian religion but no other faiths when he becomes king, a report by the Evangelical Alliance claims.
    The prince has said he wishes to become "Defender of Faith" rather than "Defender of the Faith" - a title assumed by monarchs since 1521.

The report says his coronation should not be an inter-faith ceremony, but non-Christian guests could be included.

The alliance said Christians and other faiths gave their views for the report.

Clarence House said it would not be commenting on the suggestions.

Source

...So I think I will. Number one the title was bestowed as a Catholic appellation, continued for the Supreme Governor of the Anglican faith. I don't recall it being defending evangelicals, so they had better be happy that Cornwall intends defending all faiths (personally God bothering evangelicals get my goat!!!!).

Before they decide to get on a rant about their 'Christian' faith and that the UK is a Christian country they should research the history of these islands...let's just put it this way....

[align=center]"Did you think I would leave you dying, when there's room on my horse for two?"[/align]

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

2. I expected better from Charlie.

3. Fidei Defensor - Defender of the Faith - conferred on HenryVIII by Pope Leo X., the Royal Family have used the title ever since though I always believed it meant defender of the Christian faith regardless of denomination.
    If Charles abjures the title Defender of The Faith will he also turn his back on the Church of England in favour of secular humanism?
    Has England become so pagan the English people will accept this?

4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

There's the history that's written, and the history that one might obtain if one looks hard enough 'written' between the lines. From this post you are one of the people that likes to adhere to written history. When the appellation was bestowed the Latin faith and the Christian faith were synonymous at least in the context of the UK, tho' there may have been the occasional wandering Eastern Orthodox who may have been extended protection in the West...

Maybe you would like to invite these Evangelicals over to the US (where they would fit in great) and solve a potential future problem...

5. If I recall my history, he also lost that title when he was placed out of communion with the Holy See.

The just carried on using the title anyway, but I think the authority behind it derived from his Church, not the Roman one.

So, I think it really only refers to the protection of Anglicanism, rather than broad Christianity, and certainly not Catholicism. After all, the Crown has no standing in any other Church...

FF.

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Actually as an afterthought I'm not sure that the Latin 'Fidei Defensor' needs alteration as I'm sure that it can be already read both ways. Latin Scholars feel free to correct, but is there a definite article in Latin?

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

It was reconferred by parliament as you suggest...

8. Ahh Neh! How quick you are to categorise as you derisively describe me as being "One of the people who likes to adhere to written history." Read my QUESTION again.
    Are you as quick to condemn the lack of hospital facilities for returning wounded British servicemen? Evangelicals in the USA most definitely would, maybe you need some of ours! Reading between the lines you sound like a Blairite. Or am I guilty of being too quick to judge also?

Incidentally I'm not an Evangelical. Though I don't believe Defender of THE Faith should be adulterated. Keep it or abjure it. Perhaps a national referendum?

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

So I'll address your question about what the British people think with this quip 'Labour party win third term!'.

As to Britain being pagan, I could rattle on about Sol Invictus and the Latin faith, Nicea, and all subsequent public 'Christian' faiths, but I won't. Admittedly we do have some 'Apolloyan' priests who pratice ancient astronomy 4 times a year, but I haven't questioned any on whether they hold to any actual pantheon. By the way if you pass by the burning (wicca) man festival in NV, be sure to question them on their beliefs won't you.

Having had the luxury of consultation at QEII hospital Woolwich when it was still a military hospital, I do actually think that the fact we effectively no longer have such establishments is more than a shame. I was going to ask in the relevant thread where military surgeons practice their craft, but never got around to it...

10. Good heavens you DO rattle on. Burning man festival? Too 60s, most of them hit Las Vegas for a wash and brush up after the event anyway! Rather attend the Green Man festival at Clun. Maybe that's who Charles thinks he is!

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I doubt it but I hear Herne's ghost is still rumoured by some to wander Windsor Park...

(***edit***maybe he can't find his way back to Arcadia?)

12. If it was good enough for his mother and those before her, what's changed? We are too much at risk of becoming a PC country for the sake of being PC. It's Defender of the Faith with all its Christian conotations and so it should stay!!!

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well, and in relation to the specific of evangelicals mentioned herein that get my goat (Baphomet pun intended), as most 'Christians' effectively read their bible upside down they can stick their perceived 'connotations' where the sun (re: Sol Invictus) doesn't shine (ie: Forum name).

14. Perhaps Shepherd is his real niche!