I was wrong to use a gun ... but I had to protect my home

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by JP47, Aug 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wrong to use a gun ... but I had to protect my home
    Aug 20 2008 by Caroline Innes, Liverpool Echo

A MAN who brandished a pellet gun to defend his home against a 25-strong gang of youths today told of his frustration at ending up in court.

Perry Szdmit, 21, admitted he was wrong to grab hold of the unloaded BB gun.

But he is furious the teenagers who broke his nose and pelted his Wirral home with eggs got away scot free.

Szdmit, who is 5ft 4in, said he was devastated by yesterday’s ruling which means he has a criminal record.

He was given a two-year community order and ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work after he pleaded guilty to affray at Liverpool crown court.

Szdmit, a carer for his partner who has lung cancer, said he was scared when his house came under siege.

He told the ECHO: “I just felt so threatened and frightened for me and my partner.

“I know it was wrong to take out the BB gun, but I was scared.

“I am gutted that the gang who harassed me have got away with it, and I will have this on my record for just trying to defend myself.

“I accept I had taken the pellet gun with me. But it was empty. And that was after they had thrown bricks at my head and broken my nose.”

He added: “The police were just not interested in tracking down those who had started the incident and had gone on to attack me.”

Liverpool crown court heard the incident happened on March 7 when Szdmit’s home in Wycherley Road, Tranmere, was pelted with eggs.

Szdmit went out to ask who was responsible and members of the 25-strong group of youths, aged around 18, said they were.

Geoffrey Greenwood, prosecuting, told the court as Szdmit walked away he was set on and a passer-by intervened to help. Szdmit ran home and admitted going back out with an unloaded pellet gun to chase away the gang.

Szdmit was later arrested at his home.

A police surgeon who examined him at Birkenhead police station found he had suffered a broken nose.

Sentencing Szdmit, who has no previous convictions, Gerald Clifton said: “What you did was foolish and confrontational but I understand the circumstances in which you acted.”

Where the fcuk has commonsense gone.Once again it's easier to go after the victim :x

2. He should have taken out a real gun and got arrested for something worth while. Need to string the little barstewards up!

3. Recall the old ZANU Liarbour refrain -

'Tough on Victims, Easy on the causes of Victims'

4. Indeed. Perhaps he should have borne in mind the phrase, "Hung for a sheep..." Taking the law into you own hands begins to seem more and more like a necessity when it's in nobody else's.

5. so if a mob attacks your home your supposed to cower indoors till the police turn up :?

6. Til the following morning then.... or the morning after that... possibly....

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Made a change

Only mistake was a BB gun an AK would have been better

8. **** them up, vigilante style! If no one else will protect you, it's all up to you. Having a small armoury in your house always helps!

9. In that case I hope your house has a comfy bunker with a food stash for a veeeery long time, you will need it considering the time it takes for the plod to turn up, it at all.

10. Its getting to the stage where groups of blokes need to get together and all have a prepared alibi for the night eg "I was at Bobs house playing poker with Ed, John and Steve"

Go out in balaclavas and a transit van, grab the ringleaders, chuck them in the back then drive out to the country, stick the baseball bat under there noses and tell them if they come back to the area it gets worse, then tell them to strip and make them walk home starkers.

If they come back, up the anti, do the same again but baseball bat their knees.

They'll soon fcuk off. :twisted:

11. I think the fact of this case was that he went home, fetched a BB gun and returned. If he had just grabbed it as they were attacking his house then it would have been different - it would have been "instant arming".

12. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

... but I'm going to sentence you anyway ...

:?

Just one step closer to the inevitable civil war.

13. Just tell the police you'll get your gun and deal with it yourself-they'll be round 'toot sweet. When they say "but you said you had a gun" you say "but you said you had no-one available".

and yes I know it's an old quote that's probably been done before, but I like it.

14. An exceptionally good idea. If your gang is in the Surrey/Hants/Berks border area I would like to join.

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Come on, put yourself in the hands of the police here - one victim arrested, one detection of affray, one set of paper work, one conviction. Or hours trudging round trying to identify which of the 25 thugs actually threw anything, yards of paper work, and no likelihood of a detection or a conviction for the statistics.

That's what you get from a Police Service, rather than a Police Force!