I Was There...An unusual military duty

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by marco_poloroid, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading the excellent Soxmis and Brit Mil Train threads, this got me to thinking. What's the most interesting, unusual, perhaps historic military duty you have undertaken?

Maybe you tucked Hess in at Spandau?

Gave Gerry Adams a full body search?

Painted the boathouse?

Or perhaps you were the bekilted Scottish officer flashing his bits next to HMQ in the legendary Regimental photo?

Or were you the drunken squaddie who leapt the Berlin Wall into the East for a bet (not strictly a duty I know!)

Or even the green lidded Tail End Charlie flying the Union Flag from his CEFO when yomping into Stanley in 1982.

IThe best I can do is when I was with my dad at Helmstedt when he strategically placed his Berlin Travel Docs on top of some papers in the Soviet guard post. Upon picking them up we drove off giggling to ourselves. I felt like I was an extra from 'The Spy Who Loved Me' Upon searching though the stash of stolen top secret soviet documents, we discovered a dog eared copy of Pravda....and er, that's it. We had ballsed up our one and only crack at hastening the end of the Cold War.

I'm sure you lot can do better. No fibbing mind. And no bloody balcony stories.

2. You mean a certain Col, whose wife was the queens stand in for the practices before the big day in November.
  3. Could be, I genuinely don't know. Are you saying the photo isn't genuine? If not, I am gutted! I have the phot on my PC...certainly looks like the Queen!!
  4. link to pic ?
    edited due to sausage fingers :oops:
  5. will i be tried for sedition?
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

phew me jack, nada, nowt.

My Brother i believe was lead bass drum for the Queen Mums funeral.
  7. Genuinely broke down due to a coolant leak in Germany whilst on exercise at night , went to the nearest house for water, occupants in the middle of a mass orgy!
    They kindly gave me water ....... I kindly gave them a salute....... Both parties VERY happy!

Thank funk they did not think i was a gate crasher in fancy dress!!! :p

(The things i did for Queen and Country!)
  8. Punishment duty, during the eighties while serving in Germany.

I was the DVLA, making UK car number plates and tax discs.
  9. ROP duty for being Drunk was 14 days as the WOs and SNCOs mess bar man.

Had more beers bought per night than I drank to get onto ROPs.
  10. He was on here at one point. 'The Yomper', or something like that, from what I remember.
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Almost! :

12. Nothing flash but was the courier who collected the last post before Detmold and Dortmund garrisons closed.

Also on the MT section at Mill Hill used to get £300 cash on a Monday then disapear for the best part of a week dropping off stuff all over the UK stopping off in hotels/B&B's used to make a bit of cash off it as well :)
  13. Anybod else remember guarding the Yanks and there Nukes in Germany. We had the outer wire and they had the inner wire and as I remember it they were a bit **** about it all. Its only a nuclear bomb for fukcs sake, lighten up!
  14. Fired the one 'o'clock gun to celebrate the five hundredth (I think?) anniversary of the fortifications of Berwick on Tweed.

Brought the Queen Mum her gin and It...after firing her birthday salute at York.
  15. 1981, Belize independence. Prince Michael attends dinner at Airport Camp WOs and Sgts Mess. Muggins here, recently promoted, gets to be Mr Vice (due to the amount of people attending, two of us nominated as Mr Vice would you believe). Sitting at the end of the table and in comes a piper who then proceeds to play (?) sweaty drones in my right ear for the next 2 hours 34 minutes and 18 bloody seconds!
    Wasn't a fan of the pipes before then but now hate the damned things. 2 hours, 34 minutes and 18 bloody seconds!
    Above and beyond the call of duty IMHO.