I was stupid to opt out of Royal Marines recruit training...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Gabster, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the time the training feels like shit, it's tough but that's how it suppose to be. My section corporal even said to me and the rest of my section when I wasn't there that I could have cut the mustard and earnt that green beret.

A moment of madness I must have gone through when getting that form stamped.

Anyway, it's too late now. I'm a civvy and I'm looking to re-join the armed forces. Thinking about the Army now. Not sure whether the infantry or something like Royal Engineers which are again soldiers first.

Does anyone know how long the basic training in the Army is? Obviously the Para's is 26 weeks but I don't feel ready for another task like that yet, maybe in the future though.

Obviously it's my choice what I do in life, but anyone got any experience in the forces and anyone got good suggestions about what to chose?
  2. Can you not grovel a bit tell them you were immature to opt out & apply to re-join?
  3. Yeah, a few of us might. :wink:

Check the stickies, and use the search function. Plenty on here mate.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. go to one of the corps you can do marine, para or even sas selection later on when you gained a bit more experience.
  5. Man the f*ck up and get back to lympschwitz you beefer
  6. That's what I'm thinking. My main aim in life is to earn that green beret, and I'm convinced that one day I'll earn it! Though I don't think I'm ready for it yet, I would like to get some military experience first.. however not using that as an excuse to help me get through training at Lympstone.

Some officer suggested maybe the Navy would be right for me to start off with, but then again it doesn't really appeal to me like the Marines or Army. The Army really does appeal to me though, and maybe it's better for me to go for them right now.

Again not sure if I want to do infantry or not. I think I would enjoy it, does anyone know how long the basic training actually is for the Infantry?
  7. Its a state of mind, 99.9% need not apply! :D
  8. Mate trust me, and you been a potential Para will find out what recruit training will be like.

Not like it was too tough for me because it wasn't, I just had a really bad start and I thought it wasn't for me so I handed in my notice, then come week 4 - 5 I really started to get to grips with things and started flying through the drills.

Yeah I got beasted and I enjoyed those beastings! I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now looking back to it haha. I think I was being a bit narrow minded in making up my mind too early on. So many ranked Marines actually told me not to leave, saying how I'll regret it and that. I was thinking.. yeah yeah but as soon as I got through to that frontdoor to my house I was thinking... what the f*ck have I done?

Lympstone Commando felt like my home. I decided to leave when I wasn't fully adapted to the place, but come week 4 and 5 it actually felt like home to me.. why I didn't ask them to rip up my notice only God will know.. but I will regrett leaving everyday unil I'm back there or back in the military getting good life experience.

I've got some photo's of us training in the place, don't worry there is nothing from the photo that can give terrorists any advantage.. if you want to see them just ask (i didn't take them though but they are photos of us training)
  9. Potential, you still scribblig with your crayons?!
  10. Thanks for that bit of wisdom, and what battalion are you with again :roll:
  11. your name wouldn't be Edward per chance would it?
  12. Join the Engineers, get some time in, see a bit and then volunteer for 24 Commando Engineer Regiment.

Before you know it, you'll be in Achnacarry Troop doing some pre training then back off to your old home town-Lympstone Commando.

Like the Nike motto says, "Just do it".

Good luck, bloke.

"I'd rather be a commando than a prince" t-shirt banned by fun police.
  13. Does it make me a thicko that it took me about 20 seconds to get that? :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  14. Why not try to go back to the RM?

Failing that Rifles, RA and RE have large groups of green hatted wonders, the RLC and RSignals also have a few dotted about.
  15. not looking too good for you is it.........
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.