I want to start fishing again, after many years, any advice?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by oldgadge, Jul 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The thread title says it all,
    specifically I want used tackle dealers and angling clubs in the peterborough area, also easy-acess venues?
    Thanks, and if you must be sarcastic
    og, at least try to be either/or interesting/amusing

2. Save up!

Seriously, fishing now is feckin expensive for decent gear.

I had a break for about 20 years, and only started again last season - but love it like i did when i was a kid!

MB

3. Expensive...so whats the cost of getting a basic rig together ?

4. I expexted that M_B but used to fishing on a budget, just want basic float rod and reel, need at at least basic quality, but baits and hooks,line,shot cheap as chips if in bulk

5. I think £30 to £50 get rod reel landing net bag/box hooks etc

6. 2nd hand of course

7. Do it!
    I am fortunate at my time of life to be able to do it as a pastime/living, I keep a few boats on lough conn and would rent one out or ghillie you in one,there is nothing nicer than a day on the lake (14000) acres and putting the kettle on on a empty island and brewing up with a few sausages (more than one can be had) no army rules here.
    not wishing to disagree with mighty blighty but ebay is your friend...stay WELL away from tackle shops.

8. You are indeed fortunate, good cess to ye

9. probably cheaper to join a rifle club and get a gun safe full of cool gats.

do it. you know you have allways wanted too....

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Keep your eye out for rods in cash converters mate. I just picked up an abu garcia 13ft float road in pristine condition for £22. looked up the book price and its around £130. I got a Bruce and Walker from a place once for £25 quid had to buy a cheap float road with it for another £15 just to haggle the price down! 13ft Bruce and walker for £25 still cant believe it and its over a decade later.

Reels are reasonably in expensive these days £25 will get you something useable.

Floats will be interesting though every buggers selling loaded wagglers and carp floats and little of anything else round my way.

11. Biscuits, what about these poly stem floats with different inserts, I am thinking light weight multi purpose and a pencilbox with a range of floats sounds right.

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I have to fess up I'm a bit of a float "tart" mate I've got dozens of the damm things, I think your describing a Crystal tip waggler. theres probably two dozen variations on that float alone. weight, length and pre loaded. I only use them on commercial carp lakes stocked with F1's because to be fair you could use a stick and a bit of string and the buggers will still hit it like a steam train.

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Where will you be fishing mate?

14. Biccies is right, Cash Converters can be pretty good for rods but that's all I'd buy. When you hook the Big Daddy you don't want to lose it because some alky never bothered to rinse off his reel and give it a quick oiling.

Head to B&Q and get a tool box, preferably one that you can change the sizes of the compartments on. Tackle shops will sell you a piece of flimsy plastic tat for £45 because its says Ultima on it and is a 'certified' tackle box.

Choose your line carefully, same principle as with the reels. Its better to spend £2 more on strong springy line with a good knot strength than be a miserable bastard and lose a fish to inadequate cheap stuff. At the same time you don't want to spend a fortune on the best line out there if its going to be used twice and left to collect dust. Try Ultima, they have hundreds of different kinds of line.

Making your own rigs (casts, terminal tackle, etc) in your spare time is IMO better, albeit more expensive unless you buy in bulk from wholesalers. You know the quality of all the materials, you know the knots won't fail when you need them most and you have the satisfaction of catching a fish with your setup. Having plenty of spare swivels, hooks, line, spinners and floats is common sense as is having stuff to 'give away'. You can never have enough tackle.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yep, and your not likely to pick up anything good cheaply for some reason they seem to be switched on with reels more so than rod.

Again I'd agree seat boxes cane be too big and too bloody uncomfortable.

I like Diawa, but to be fair I'll by what evers at the right price for main line I'm more picky with my hooklengths.

If you get into carp fishing then making your own terminal tackle will save you a small fortune.

And as the man said You can never have enough fishing tackle