I want to shoot stuff

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Mr Happy, May 16, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Back in the 80's I joined the TA to run around and shoot at stuff, preferably Russkies (remember them, I was in the Kremlin last Sunday - it was nice with excellent ice cream).  

With my current unit I haven't had an exercise since 1995, since then it's been courses, training, instructing, CPX's and god knows what.  

I don't think I can remember what it's like being tactical for more than 30 minutes..

In the old days we turned up, dug a fire trench, patrolled, attacked something, went back, got attacked, filled in your trench and went home.

Is it just me or should I keep doing S types (FTRS) for the fun of it..

2. Same boat as a lot of the regulars these days then.  Once training is over it appears to be endless barrack routince, consisting of admin duties followed by short bouts of excitement hiding behind a wall in Belfast, in a Wadi in the Gulf, behind the Marines in Afghanistan etc.  The sooned everyone puts their notice in and leave President Tony without a lap dog to help George W the better.  Then new Labour might just decide a happy Army is an effective one.