I want to join up as an officer after college...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by hazhavoc, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will definatly have the right qualifications, apart from science which is a D but i have a german GCSE which is a C. So im doing my as levels and im going to do my A levels. I have read on the army website that 80% of officers are university graduates, but i wont be?
    realisticly what kind of a chance do i have of becomming an officer after college without a degree?
    bare in mind i meet all the physical requirements.
    Thanks so much
  2. Do you think your spelling and grammar are good enough? :?
  3. As they would say in Australia," You've got Buckley's"
  4. Don't be so peti with me please!
    I didn't ask to be fried on how i write!
    Please just answer my question
  5. Incoming....
  6. Cor you bite easy! :eek:
  7. Hazhavoc,

Presuming you’re not a “wah”, being able to write and speak fluid, succinct, English is one of the most important characteristics an officer can have. Leadership and “cutting about” is important, but you’ll also be expected to convey your thoughts and opinions on your soldiers to ensure their advancement and promotion, and to convey your thoughts and ideas to Senior Officers. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter if you've got a GCSE or a Masters, you won't be an effective officer.

If your posts are indicative of your current standard of English and of your thought process, your chances of passing AOSB seem rather slim, although you do have 2 more years of school. I'd use them.

Failing that, have you thought about the RAF? :D
  8. Do you not think its relevant? If you don't wish to be chastised for whistling, don't whistle.
  9. The point is that it only takes a bit more time to spell check your work in word so that it is easier to read.

If you have a D in science then I'm not sure of your chances as the minimum is a 'C'. With good A-level results you could try to get them to overlook this.

They like you going to Uni as it matures you. Often people are physically able to pass the AOSB but are not mentally ready yet so you get told to go to Uni and come back in 2 years.
  10. Why haven't you posted this in the Officers forum? Miss left, must try harder!

Never mind, can i suggest that our young padwan has a look through this Clickety Click.

Pay particular attention to
    All AOSB queries/comments here from now on please

University degrees, the collected wisdom

Sandhurst - All factory chat in here please

Officer's career advice thread

Don't start a new thread as it will only get deleted. Post your question in the relevant thread and you should recieve the answers you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Edited to add - If this is a WaH after all that (which will be my second in as many weeks :x ) someone is gonna get a mighty skiffing.
  11. Wah without doubt. However, I thought the most important skills were being able to mix a Pink G&T and being able to ask " do you do it doggy doggy" in Swaheli... swah... swarhi... swahili whatever!! How things have changed.
  12. I would say that a degree is not a pre-requisite for commissioning. However, your lack of attention to detail, shown by the poor grammer and spelling in your posts, will be picked up during the interviews and may well prove to be a deciding factor in your being successful or not.
  13. This is where they are going wrong then. The most immature ar*eholes I have met in the Army are those who have never left an institution in their lives. From age of 8 at boarding school, all the way through Uni to the Army. Completely institutionalised and have no idea about the real world or how to deal with soldiers.

My advice, if not going to Uni, would be to wrok in Civvie Street for a couple of years first to gain some life/work experience. This will mature you much more effectively than Uni although the loss of seniority may worry you.
  14. Good steer F-G, but avoid the "Dapper clothing" thread at all costs.

15. Oi! We have standards you know. Not very high standards, but standards nonetheless... :D