I want to join the REME advice needed please

Discussion in 'REME' started by SonOfRambo, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone. I would like some advice please.

I am 16 years old, I have finished my GCSEs and I want to join the REME, as I would like a trade for later on in life.

I'm not sure what trade would suit me though?

My Dad was in the Army, I grew up in Germany, so I know mostly what the Army's about already, but he was in the infantry so he doesn't know a lot about the REME trades.

He did say that Vehicle Mechanics work hard, and that I'd enjoy working on vehicles, but I quite like the idea of being a recovery guy.

My Dad thinks that I'm too clever for that job though, and I should use my qualifications more?

I look fowared to hearing some advice from some serving/ex-serving REME guys if possible?

2. Now here is a cast iron opportunity to rib the "wretched mechs". Or is it a wah !!!!!

3. wah written all over it!!
  4. C+.....could try harder :)
  5. Son, those REME guys always used to look good bringing up the rear of a

convoy in a fecking big Scammell. Go in as an Officer. That will please

your Dad.

Good luck.
  6. Hi guys. Fristly, what is a wah? I've never heard that before? I'd ask my dad, but he's at work at the moment.

I don't want to go in as an Officer, because I think I need a degree to join the REME as an officer? I don't want to spend any longer learning stuff, I'm ready for greater things.
  7. I thought Rambo had retired, or has he fallen on hard times and had to make another film?

This is an awful wah, please try harder.

8. Son, then join up and train as a recovery mechanic. They see plenty of

action and some of them have more medals than a General. (Sort of)

Good luck. :wink:
  9. Despite the adverse comments on here, if you are serious, go and discuss it with the recruiters. You may find, after your appraisal phase, that REME will point you towards the Technical Trades (as they did with me). Whichever trade you choose, you will get an excellent training and experience that will set you up for life.
  10. Okay if you are genuinely asking, or for the benefit of anyone else who is interested and reads the thread then I will attempt to shed some light.

The fact of the matter is that if you wish to gain a trade by joining the REME then you are going to have to spend some time 'learning stuff'. For the Technical trades this will involve a significant amount of time in the classroom, there is no getting around it. This is not intended to be negative but it is a fact often overlooked by those who join.

Recy Mechs have a very rewarding job and get involved in some particularly 'interesting' activities. However the trade does not really map into Civvy Street (apart from the driving licences).

If you are interested in becoming a REME Officer then it is a long road from where you are now and there are many routes to choose from. Your AFCIO is best placed to give you the various options.

For what it's worth, my advice to anyone in your position would be to find out as much as possible about the various options open to you and have a long chat with the guys at the careers office but ultimately go where you think you will enjoy the job and be challenged by it.

Do not attempt to circumvent 'learning stuff' you are 16 not 60 and have an awful lot of learning to do I'm afraid.

Good luck,

11. Nice post mnairb...... I wish that I had had the common sense to say that.
  12. Thanks for the advice guys. Will take it to the careers office with me, and have a chat with them about my options.

I've done some searching on this site, and found out what a wah is too!
  13. Blimey, and Unlucky Alf. All good stuff. Take it to heart son and

Good Luck.

basso. :wink:
  14. Go and get some A-levels! Don't limit yourself at this early stage by trying for a trade without first getting a decent educational grounding first - i know it's not what you want to hear right now, but the more strings to your bow now will give you more options in the future. Ask about Welbeck College which will put you in an Army environment and open your eyes employment-wise within the Green Machine...
  15. Top post Strudelpus.

Rambo - Aim as high and as accurate as you can, a happy soldier makes a professional and promotable comrade!