I want to join the REME advice needed please

Hi everyone. I would like some advice please.

I am 16 years old, I have finished my GCSEs and I want to join the REME, as I would like a trade for later on in life.

I'm not sure what trade would suit me though?

My Dad was in the Army, I grew up in Germany, so I know mostly what the Army's about already, but he was in the infantry so he doesn't know a lot about the REME trades.

He did say that Vehicle Mechanics work hard, and that I'd enjoy working on vehicles, but I quite like the idea of being a recovery guy.

My Dad thinks that I'm too clever for that job though, and I should use my qualifications more?

I look fowared to hearing some advice from some serving/ex-serving REME guys if possible?

Thanks

John

Son, those REME guys always used to look good bringing up the rear of a

convoy in a fecking big Scammell. Go in as an Officer. That will please

your Dad.

Good luck.

Hi guys. Fristly, what is a wah? I've never heard that before? I'd ask my dad, but he's at work at the moment.

I don't want to go in as an Officer, because I think I need a degree to join the REME as an officer? I don't want to spend any longer learning stuff, I'm ready for greater things.

SonOfRambo said:
Hi guys. Fristly, what is a wah? I've never heard that before? I'd ask my dad, but he's at work at the moment.

I don't want to go in as an Officer, because I think I need a degree to join the REME as an officer? I don't want to spend any longer learning stuff, I'm ready for greater things.

Son, then join up and train as a recovery mechanic. They see plenty of

action and some of them have more medals than a General. (Sort of)

Good luck. :wink:

Despite the adverse comments on here, if you are serious, go and discuss it with the recruiters. You may find, after your appraisal phase, that REME will point you towards the Technical Trades (as they did with me). Whichever trade you choose, you will get an excellent training and experience that will set you up for life.

SonOfRambo said:

Okay if you are genuinely asking, or for the benefit of anyone else who is interested and reads the thread then I will attempt to shed some light.

The fact of the matter is that if you wish to gain a trade by joining the REME then you are going to have to spend some time 'learning stuff'. For the Technical trades this will involve a significant amount of time in the classroom, there is no getting around it. This is not intended to be negative but it is a fact often overlooked by those who join.

Recy Mechs have a very rewarding job and get involved in some particularly 'interesting' activities. However the trade does not really map into Civvy Street (apart from the driving licences).

If you are interested in becoming a REME Officer then it is a long road from where you are now and there are many routes to choose from. Your AFCIO is best placed to give you the various options.

For what it's worth, my advice to anyone in your position would be to find out as much as possible about the various options open to you and have a long chat with the guys at the careers office but ultimately go where you think you will enjoy the job and be challenged by it.

Do not attempt to circumvent 'learning stuff' you are 16 not 60 and have an awful lot of learning to do I'm afraid.

Good luck,

Alf

mnairb said:
Despite the adverse comments on here, if you are serious, go and discuss it with the recruiters. You may find, after your appraisal phase, that REME will point you towards the Technical Trades (as they did with me). Whichever trade you choose, you will get an excellent training and experience that will set you up for life.

Nice post mnairb...... I wish that I had had the common sense to say that.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will take it to the careers office with me, and have a chat with them about my options.

I've done some searching on this site, and found out what a wah is too!

Go and get some A-levels! Don't limit yourself at this early stage by trying for a trade without first getting a decent educational grounding first - i know it's not what you want to hear right now, but the more strings to your bow now will give you more options in the future. Ask about Welbeck College which will put you in an Army environment and open your eyes employment-wise within the Green Machine...

strudelpus said:
Go and get some A-levels! Don't limit yourself at this early stage by trying for a trade without first getting a decent educational grounding first - i know it's not what you want to hear right now, but the more strings to your bow now will give you more options in the future. Ask about Welbeck College which will put you in an Army environment and open your eyes employment-wise within the Green Machine...
Top post Strudelpus.

Rambo - Aim as high and as accurate as you can, a happy soldier makes a professional and promotable comrade!

I been a recy mech for four years and i'm just about to retrade to aircraft tech. Don't get me wrong I loved the work you do as a recy mech it is easily the most interesting in REME.

Good Points

You actually get out on the ground every day. This breaks up the monotiny of a 6 month in camp tour. You will be suprised at the amount of VM's that will wanna jump on your crew to get out and about.

This gives terry plenty of oppotunity to put rounds at you if thats your thing. likewise you will be the only troops that have put rounds down when not on guard.

This means you will be more respected by the other guys in the army (inf etc). You get to 'play' with some serious toys ie crarrv and foden.

Every job is different and has different ways of being achieved. This makes it interesting each and everytime you go out.

People don't pick and choose when they breakdown so you will always get a lot of 'standby' time when you can walk around with brews and make all the vm's rage.

You will be joining the biggest boys club in the army. THey are the REME party animals drinking, spewing and s*****g all over the place. The ASm will expect u to turn up for work half cut (and still rip u a new one though).

Bad Points

You will almost certainly get fat from all the beer, brews and roll overs. you could say it is encouraged towards the end of your career lol.

As some one said there is absolutly no scope for civvy work. Its not even really considered a trade on civvie street. you can do it but expect to be doing 80+ hours a week to earn a decent wage.

Your back/knees will suffer from running about with heavy kit and jumping in and out of cabs/tanks.

The skills are pretty easy to master and the promotion is slow compared to other trades particularly tech which fly up the ranks.

Don't take this as negative because it is not. I enjoyed all my tours and was always glad to be a recy mech. By age 19 you can expect to be in charge of £250000 worth of recovery truck and the safety of crews etc will be your responsibility. Make sure you have oddles of common sense because every job is like a command task and teh instructors will always have a faster, better way to do it.

Basically mate Reccy Mechs are the rough side of the REME, fighting drinking, farting etc. Its a physical job with a lot of responsibility. By Class two (1-2 years in) you will not have an artisan sergeant to hold your hand you will be expec ted to do the job. You could have a colonel breathing down your neck and you need the spuds to tell him to wind his neck in. You are in charge of safety at the scene of RTAs etc.

Any questions let me know i've done the job in 3 theatres I know the score.

Oh yea you are getting brand new state of the art dogs balls trucks this year and they are an awesome machine.

So that is why the infantry lads in this place keep holding me down and pissing on me, because I'm not a reccy mech. It's so simple now.

Certainly Rechy Mechs are the rough n' ready side to REMEdom, but they are the most laid-back and tend to attract the company of the "coolest" lads in the LAD/Wksp. They often play up to the Boozy/slow (i.e. "i'm only a Rechy Mech..." - don't be fooled!) stereotype but they tend to have the strongest streak of Common Sense around. Top Blokes for general Japery/Lunacy, but a severely-limiting trade longterm. The rigmarole involved to retrade again brings me back to aiming as high as you can as soon as you can - the modern lean Army can't afford slackers and as competition is fierce you need to aim high!

Latest Threads