Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to join the paras in September, false hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi so recently i have took a massive interest in a career in the armed forces out of nowhere, and I’ve decided it should be the paras, but I’m worried about the fitness aspect, I’m 15 at the moment 16 in august but I’m not very fit I have strength but not much stamina, I’m ready to dedicate my life in the next 9 months to train to be fit enough, 5”11 12.5 stone and what I’m asking is if I train day in day out until September do you all think I’ll be able to become fit enough? Cheers

12.5 stone is meaningless - you could be 12.5 stones of skin, bones and fat, or 12.5 stones of lean athlete. What you do have on your side is age. At your age, 9 months of prep will get you to the standard required to start Para Junior entry.

Go to the careers office and have a chat.

12.5 stone is meaningless - you could be 12.5 stones of skin, bones and fat, or 12.5 stones of lean athlete. What you do have on your side is age. At your age, 9 months of prep will get you to the standard required to start Para Junior entry.

Go to the careers office and have a chat.
Cheers mate, I was just worried because I have no athletic background like whatsoever although I can climb, am disciplined and am quite handy

Exactly what the other bloke said.

Work on endurance, not getting bigger, at your age as your muscles and bones are still growing and you can damage them permanently with weights, and trying to get bigger. If you are still at school join the cross country club, or team, they do about the right distances for your age group without being silly.

Other things you can do is join the local swimming club, swimming is good for all around stamina and body fitness - more so than running, but you need to be running age appropriate distances. Another thing you can get into is orienteering which is a combination of running and map reading, very useful in the military.

Don't overthink it though, 6 to 9 months is plenty of time. Just remember if you are doing exercise you are burning more calories and you need to be eating more, and taking in fluids. Also take a couple of rest days every week to let sprains and micro muscle tears heal up - don't exercise with an injury as you will only make it worse.

Good luck.

Hi so recently i have took a massive interest in a career in the armed forces out of nowhere, and I’ve decided it should be the paras, but I’m worried about the fitness aspect, I’m 15 at the moment 16 in august but I’m not very fit I have strength but not much stamina, I’m ready to dedicate my life in the next 9 months to train to be fit enough, 5”11 12.5 stone and what I’m asking is if I train day in day out until September do you all think I’ll be able to become fit enough? Cheers
Get a copy of this on paperback or kindle on Amazon for a few pounds and follow the training programmes and fitness advice. It will be better than any advice you will get on here as the author was OC P Company at Depot Para not so long ago.

51+oHM5l31L._SX260_.jpg

Exactly what the other bloke said.

Work on endurance, not getting bigger, at your age as your muscles and bones are still growing and you can damage them permanently with weights, and trying to get bigger. If you are still at school join the cross country club, or team, they do about the right distances for your age group without being silly.

Other things you can do is join the local swimming club, swimming is good for all around stamina and body fitness - more so than running, but you need to be running age appropriate distances. Another thing you can get into is orienteering which is a combination of running and map reading, very useful in the military.

Don't overthink it though, 6 to 9 months is plenty of time. Just remember if you are doing exercise you are burning more calories and you need to be eating more, and taking in fluids. Also take a couple of rest days every week to let sprains and micro muscle tears heal up - don't exercise with an injury as you will only make it worse.

Good luck.
Cheers buddy, I would definitely sign up for some sort of sports team but I’m not at school at the moment and gyms aren’t open, I’ve asked my “gym rat” friend his advice and shown him the requirements etc he’s made me a workout which he thinks will help he said one day do the workout the other do running, I’m hopeful, I’ve done much research and it’s something I really want to do, someone else who replied showed me a paras training guide, I think I’ll pick that up. Cheers mate!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads