I want to be a vehicle mechanic

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by overheadandclean, Dec 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi iam 16 years old and i want to be a mechanic in the REME, i should leave school with the right grades, but i cant find infomation about if the REME are recruiting mechanics at the moment. Has anyone out there joined as a vehicle mechanic in the last couple of years and if so what is it like.

2. I wanted to be a diesel fitter, but they wouldn't even allow me in a ladys shoeshop.
  3. I asked a VM in the LAD here. He said don't do it. Don't even think about it. However, he is a miserable old **** and doesn't enjoy anything, and is signing off after this tour. Go to your local careers office pal, they might tell you the truth, or they might lie through their teeth. Who knows. Most of the other guys in the LAD here seem to love it though, although they are all fixing tracked vehicles, and they are crewed by demi-gods, so they will be having a lovely time with us.
  4. cheers, im going to the careers office after christmas so will see what they say
  5. I was a VM 89-95 - I did the universal training so could work on the full range of vehicles.

I enjoyed it. Postings, as with any other trade, makes the difference though. Being with a cool LAD rather than a musty old Bn is chalk and cheese.
  6. D grades English lang, maths, science and 48 minimum on the BARB test. If you pass ADSC with a good grade before your 17:5 months and hopefully get loaded to AFC Harrogate you will do 23 weeks Basic training at the college then down to SEME in Bordon for approx 6 months basic vehicles course learning all aspects of mechanics, after that you could be posted to any unit in the Army attached as there mechanic in a Light Aid Detachment (small workshop) or a Battalion or larger workshop to help maintain there vehicles. Some say its a shit job sometimes a lot of hard graft...however after 24 years doing the job Ive loved it and also proud to have worked with some excellent blokes in the past and educate the crap ones.....use search functions in the REME forumns and on this forumn then speak to your local ACIO.
  7. cant say what its like now, but used to be great fun, some serious hard work at times, but not like we have to run everywhere.
    I hear they take women now. so must be easier than it was in my day, sprogs
  8. They have always taken Squatter B mechs.............sorry just re read you meant females I got confused when you said women I thought you meant the techs and B mechs.
  9. After 24 years it would be nice to think that an A Mech could have got to grips with there, their and they're but never mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. VM 75-94, most of it pretty good but I was LAD's for almost all of it and never became one of the undead at an ARMD WKSP, Battalions now I believe.
    Attachments to Regiments varied in degrees of knobbery but a general rule was Inf and Cav good, Arty shite. Just my opinion based on personal
  11. Im an edumucated A mech Spaz, I just couldn't cheat enough to be a Tiffy and was far too good looking to be a Squatter.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I always wanted to be a train driver but I ended up managing an offshore hedge fund and extensive property interests.

This life hasn't turned out quite the way I want it to be.
  13. No offence kid but when your looking to know about Army Jobs, try looking on the army jobs website. You might notice general fitter (IE Vehicle Mechanic) is listed as Most Wanted.
  14. we were always the most wanted :)