"I want My England" - True or False?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by JoeCivvie, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There's an email circulating which reads:

I pretty much agree with the sentiments but haven't sent this on because I don't know how true any of this is.

I emailed a woman called Webb listed on the the British Red Cross site (her email is BWebb@redcross.org.uk) asking if their part was true but 7 days on have yet to receive a reply, which does make me wonder........

I've tried Googling other parts but had no success. Can we 'Mythbust' the references in the first part of the email, and confirm if any are true?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You have tried Googling and can't find it?????????

You are joking right???

This is on the BNP's, Stormfront's, Thisismyengland and every other far right wing lunatics site, not to mention blogged on the Torygraph and Mails sites.

It is even converted to support the Australians on a Singapore chat site.

Not to mention the number of times that it has been posted on here.

3. I've seen a similar e-mail circulating here adjusted for American audiences so I'm guessing it probably isn't completely true. I'm kind of buying in to their theme though. :wink:

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Given this:

and this:

I would not be surprised at all if it was originally American rewritten in English. I'm not certain that we have a 'National Motto' and we don't really have 'Our Pledge' (apart from the polish) even if you count the new Nationality ceremonies.

I think that this was brought up last time as well.

5. I obviously didn't explain myself properly. Yes, of course I can find the whole text with Google. DOH!

What I meant was are the various facts stated in the first part of the email true? Hence my emailing the British Red Cross to ask them if their part was true - and getting no reply.

6. Thanks, Awol - Snopes is usually my first port of call with 'iffy' emails, but I never thought to check this one.

7. Its not that difficult to discern that it isn't British...

What a pile of hysterical tripe.

8. I believe that's the bit that originally said "In God we trust!" but someone from the groups previously mentioned obviously had one more than the usual single braincell and did their best to make it British by removing the more American bits. As you observed though, they didn't do too well when researching where we get driving licences from! :roll:

9. Has any British city ever actually not put up Christmas lights 'in case it offends'?

10. I think a similer version was credited to the Australian Prime Minister as well...

11. I put my xmas lights up last night and within 20 minutes I'd had a visit from the local Constabulary. Apparently my lights were 'offensive' to my neighbours who are originally from Africa. I was confused and understandably irate until the copper pointed out I'd accidently spelled out, in my innocence, 'Fcuk off home niggers'

12. Funny, I had the same issue with my new bumper sticker that apperantly read "fok jou hottentot kaffir". Some people can find racism anywhere. Such as shame we live in such a sensitive world.

13. Does this come in multiple languages?

14. Quoting the list "After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's licence with her face covered. You try it!"
    Since when did Birmingham council issue driving licences :?