I want back in green kit. Any possibilities?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by long_tall_frenchie, Oct 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I apologise if this is has already been done. I've searched about a bit on the forum but have not found anything specifically on this subject.

    I am a brand new, fresh-faced subby (TACC 093). I am properly annoyed about this six month halt, and have been told by my unit that there will be only PT on drill nights and no exercises for the duration. Now, this isn't why I joined, and I may well go regs next year at this rate. However, I don't want to be forced into such a serious decision and anyway I think the TA needs subbies (gawd help it).

    Anyway, as a research student, I have very flexible time and it's no problem for me to bugger off for a year or 6 months. My question to you is:

    Is there any way I can get back into my uniform, do the job I want to do and (gasp) get paid? I am prepared to sign up to go on operations (that's why I joined), but as a brand new 2Lt I have no qualifications. The courses are surely still running for the regs, so could I get on their courses if I sign up for an op?

    Sorry if this is confused, and if it's already been done, but I really want to get stuck in. Oh, if it's helpful, I'm in RAC, though I'd happily do PCBC and go for an infantry role or anything if it would allow me to get back to work. At this rate, I'm going to have to get a real job!

    I'll bring it up with the PSI's (after 5-a-side) when I get a chance, but in the mean time I would appreciate your views and ideas. Also, on re-reading the above I notice I sound like a spoiled child, I know that everyone is hacked off with the cuts as much as me.
  2. you have to be a subby for a year before gettin on a tour. resigning your commission and volunteering would probably get you out there quicker!!
  3. thanks Irish Cream. However, it'll take me at least a year to get through the courses I'll need. My question is, can I start the ball rolling now?
  4. frenchie is that you?

    Summer leader ;)

    More than likley you'll need to get a real job like me!
    I always wanted to work in game
  5. TA Rambo, yes it is me. Who are you?

    Dark Ninja, "yes", great, would you care to expand?
  6. Courses are still running only if they are not in support of Oerations then it will be at C2!!
    perhaps talking to your PSI would clear up any false info you may have come across!!!
    Also just to add, the TA is suppose to supplement your Income, not be your income!!!
  7. Yes, its you - it says so on your avatar
  8. What's all this about? Commonwealth/RoI citizens can join TA, can join regs, but can't do FTRS?
  9. Klep
  10. Guten tag Klep.

    Thanks for your help guys. I'll go and badger the RSM (gently).
  11. hmm well id go up the CoC by badgering your adjutant. the ras-man is there to look after the troops, but you should really be under your adj's wing or your coy commander, in fact.
  12. I meant the RSM of my old OTC, then I'll go to the adj. Thanks again for assistance.
  13. I saw that as well - and that totally random comment about fees. Some civil servant at Glasgow after a hard lunch ? Its pish, there is nothing to stop Commonwealth or RoI TA/Reserve soldiers applying for FTRS.