I vow to thee my country

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by banjotrooper, May 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

I need some help please if possible?

I need to record the hymm " I vow to thee my Country" however, I have been informed that the middle verse must not be sung or played in public???
    I have since read the words and to me, the hymm deserves to have this verse included but that is just my view. I cannot understand why this verse must be left out!

Can any one out there send me a link to this hymm being sung or played including this banned verse please? There are loads on You tube but all there have only the accepted 1st and 2nd verses. I would appreciate it! :D

Thank you.
  2. Who says it cannot be sung or played in public?
  3. I know the lyrics got mucked about with awhile back - from 'whose fortress is a valiant heart' to whose fortress is a faithful heart' - I'm guessing PC world didn't like the implications

the context

As my grandfather was in Canada in 1914 and rushed back like so many it works for me
  4. There is no reason why it can't be.
    Some religious nuts think its a bit heretical by puting patriotism before god but there is no reason why the middle verse cannot be sung.
    Seeing as its only three verses anyway I can't see the point of leaving a third of it out.
    Some people think the middle verse is antiquated and inappropriate in this day and age. Not to worry though, I think god is a bit antiquated and inappropriate in this day and age so it all evens out in the end
  5. And now I'm curious to know what the 'banned' verse might be?
    I listened to Katherine Jenkins singing it on Youtube, and she seemed to sing all the words typed here:

Anyone know the words of the missing verse?
  6. Full version, the controversial bit in bold

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
    Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
    The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
    That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
    The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
    The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
    Across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me.
    Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on her head,
    And round her feet are lying the dying and the dead.
    I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns,
    I haste to thee my mother, a son among thy sons.

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
    Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
    We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
    Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
    And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
    And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.
  7. Totally agree, shame in't.

8. Ahem - went to a wedding at a Garrison church on Saturday (bad planning) and it was certainly sung there with all three verses - but the 2nd verse isnt in the hymn book - it would need to be printed.
  9. The BNP would appear not to like my friends, which is a shame, because some of them are more patriotic and better citizens than some of indigenous specimens I've come across, so I don't have a lot of time for the BNP - as for this, I'd say it was unbelievable except that England is bedevilled by meddlers who seek to dilute national pride at every turn. I don't understand why, nor how they think they can get away with it. Was it really Labour's ideological aim to flood the country with immigration with the intent of changing our cultural identity? Was it done with the objective of facilitating the regionalization of England in accordance with EU ambitions? Well, that failed even after John Prescott vigorously pursued a well funded campaign in the Labour heartlands of the North East. I can see no valid reason why this famous and well loved song was tinkered with in such a fashion, but I can well believe that it was. and by those who forget that we still theoretically, live in a democracy. The old crusader's stirring........ :x
  10. Country before God definitely... look at what weve ended up when you allow people in who put their false gods before country..

Sing the non PC verse and damn their eyes to Hades!!
  11. Had the non PC version at my wedding, all them thar years ago!