I vow to thee my country...heretical and racist?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Forces_Sweetheart, Aug 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had to check it was not 1 April when I heard this chap on radio this morning...... What's next... banning Jerusalem in case it offends people from the middle east?

From Sky:

A bishop has called for a "heretical" hymn with "racist overtones" to be banned.

The Anglican bishop claims I Vow To Thee, My Country is contributing to a rise in nationalism.

The hymn, which was a favourite of Princess Diana and was sung at her funeral, describes Britain as "entire, whole and perfect".

But the Bishop of Hulme, the Rt Rev Stephen Lowe, said: "I think it is heretical because a Christian's ultimate responsibility and accountability is to God as revealed by Jesus and the Holy Spirit."

Writing in Cruz, the Manchester diocesan newsletter, the bishop admitted the hymn had a "good tune".

But he was unhappy about the rise of nationalism, which he claimed had been evident during the Euro 2004 football tournament and the D-Day anniversary celebrations.

The bishop said "any notion of national superiority or fierce independence while pouring scorn on our neighbours is profoundly un-Christian and wrong".

And he told The Daily Telegraph that the clergy should think "long and hard" before using the hymn, which was written by Sir Cecil Spring-Rice in 1918, in any of their services.

He said: "I quoted the hymn as one example of my concerns about growing nationalism."

According to the paper, the bishop said the hymn's popularity was a symptom of a "dangerous" increase in English nationalism which had parallels with the rise of Nazism.

Set to Gustav Holst's The Planets, the song was used as an anthem for the Rugby World Cup.

A spokesman for the Church of England said the bishop was entitled to his own opinion.
  2. Check to see if a sectioned patient has been released :roll:
  3. Beggars belief.

Sad how we rarely hear second and third versus sung these days, especially the second:

O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter her enemies
    And make them fall;
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    Oh, save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign;
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice,
    God save the Queen!

Whenever I had pleasure to perform the honourable duty of orderly officer, one of the tasks I would have the barracks' prisoners undertake was to learn the words of patriotic songs such as the National Anthem, Land of Hope and Glory etc. and recite them to the Orderly Officer of the following day.
  4. Nice one, Boney, thanks.

I'll sink a few pints of rant juice over lunch and let him have it with both barrels
  5. Religion is just as divisive and pernicious as nationalism and I've no time for either.

Incidentally, I think we should keep the wording of our National Anthem for the sake of tradition, but for fcuks sake, can't we change that dull bloody tune for something a bit more rousing?
  6. Yes, a tedious dirge to be sure... and the Swiss also use it.
  7. K)*b is currently defending his corner on Radio 2
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Hear, Hear! Rule Britannia, and anyone who refuses to sing it should be shot!
  9. He was interviewed on Sky earlier and they gave him quite a tough time, not least about why he did not have more important things to worry about. He wore sunglasses and looked like he was enjoying every minute of the attention. He also threw in a few comments about other favourite hymns and anthems for good measure, claiming that Land of Hope and Glory was full of questionable lyrics: 'Do we really want to be 'mightier still' as a country?' he asked. What a toad.
  10. Quoting myself from the Naafi:

11. Priest refused to let me have Jerusalem at my wedding :cry: (it was in Australia - he objected to England being green and pleasant land and not Oz!?) so had I vow to thee my country instead, just as good and theme for rugby world cup which we beat them in!!!! :twisted:
  12. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

That same Bishop, while denouncing "I Vow to Thee" as nationlistic racist and xenophobic, is probably quite happy to support the right of radical muslims to blow themselves and as many Isareli's and Christians to Kingdom Come in the name of civil rights and freedoms and fighting the oppressor.

Fukcing lefties have lost the plot, and it's sad to see the Church of ENGLAND denouncing any notion of national pride or a sense of nationality in ENGLAND. FFS! :roll:
  13. Before he condemns Land of Hope and Glory he ought to make himself familiar with the words. Arthur Benson wrote the words to Land of Hope and Glory at the time when the Christian religion in the UK was at its peak. It extols our Nation's faith and freedom. It saddens me that truth and freedom in this country are being eroded under Bliar and from the Church comes no complaint.

It was the outcome of collaboration between the composer, Edward William Elgar (1857-1934) and Arthur C. Benson (1862-1925). Elgar had already earned a reputation as a composer with the two Pomp and Circumstance Marches (1901). The first of these appealed so much to Edward VII, that Elgar was commissioned to compose a work for his coronation, later to be known as the "Coronation Ode" (see below). He worked in close collaboration with Arthur C Benson who provided words for the music. It was also suggested that a section of the first Pomp and Circumstance March should also have words and become the climax of the "Coronation Ode". The result is the song "Land of Hope and Glory". The Ode was completed in April 1902 and earned Elgar a knighthood in 1904. The Ode was also performed at the coronation of King George V in 1911.

Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned.
    God make thee mightier yet!
    On Sov'ran brows, beloved, renowned,
    Once more thy crown is set.
    Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,
    Have ruled thee well and long;
    By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,
    Thine Empire shall be strong.

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
    How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
    Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

Thy fame is ancient as the days,
    As Ocean large and wide:
    A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,
    A stern and silent pride:
    Not that false joy that dreams content
    With what our sires have won;
    The blood a hero sire hath spent
    Still nerves a hero son.

-- A C Benson

Land of Hope and Glory,
    Mother of the Free,
    How may we extol thee,