i tunes alternative ?

On My win 10 PC I have itunes.I aalso use an ipad to play music on the move. in the last few weeks its mucking me about . I download albums ,all the track s appear but one or two have a message pop up when I try to play "this content not authorised on this computer or the authorise this computer dialogue box appears, I authorise it ,again and again with no result I have tried all the suggestions on line and the apple community forums but no luck .
So I think iTunes will get hoofed, but how do I preserve the library of music amassed and what should I replace itunes with, something I can still use to transfer to the ipad ?
My accommodation is all on the ground floor so no heaving the pc out of the window.
Ideas and suggestions please

Its the keeping of all the music I already have that concerns me , how do i save it ?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
On My win 10 PC I have itunes.I aalso use an ipad to play music on the move. in the last few weeks its mucking me about . I download albums ,all the track s appear but one or two have a message pop up when I try to play "this content not authorised on this computer or the authorise this computer dialogue box appears, I authorise it ,again and again with no result I have tried all the suggestions on line and the apple community forums but no luck .
So I think iTunes will get hoofed, but how do I preserve the library of music amassed and what should I replace itunes with, something I can still use to transfer to the ipad ?
My accommodation is all on the ground floor so no heaving the pc out of the window.
Ideas and suggestions please
Genuinely this:

Rare retro Creative MuVo V100 black ( 2 GB ) Digital Media Player/mp3 | eBay

Ignore the price, this is down to them not being available to buy anymore.

I bought one of these in 2004 (a smaller version before I upgraded to the 2gb one). Runs for about 18hrs on 1 AAA battery (I've had longer out of it) and it went everywhere I went in the army, including the humid and wet jungle of Belize and the dry and dusty planes of Iraq / Afghan where I'd fall asleep in my doss bag every night listening to the Sherlock Holmes audio books. This thing never left my side.

No bullshit for importing stuff, you pulled it in half and shoved the usb end into your pc or laptop, opened it in file browser and dumped in your MP3 or OGG files and shoved it back together.

When it finally broke and the cover came off, I glued it back shut. When the usb end wiggled loose, I reopened it and glued that bit back down too. It's been through the washing machine on full cycle and when I opened the door at the end, all I could hear was music - played throughout the entire cycle.

I still have it, 15 odd years later. It's been glued, taped and no longer has any visible markings on it but it still ******* works and holds all the music I'll ever need and is a doddle to use.

**** all this super fancy and charging reliant crap they give us nowadays. This would take them all on, single handed in a back alley and come out smiling, 'specially that big whoopsie that looks like a fruit with a bite out of it.

Welcome to the 'fcukkaboutery from Apple' as the song goes "It ain't easy, no, no, no".

Among its functions, Apple’s iTunes program serves as a database for sorting and organizing your digital media collection. However, the files that make up that media collection primarily live in a folder called iTunes Media (or iTunes Music) on the computer. To move the music library, you just need to find and move the folder to the external hard drive or the cloud service you wish to use.

Unless you have changed the location of your iTunes Music/Media folder, you can find it in your user folder on the computer. On a Windows PC, look in My Music and then the iTunes folder; on a Mac, open the Music folder and then the iTunes folder.

Before you copy the folder elsewhere, however, you might want to make sure all the files listed in the iTunes window are actually stored within it. To do that, open iTunes, go to the File menu, to Library and choose Consolidate Files. This makes a copy of any file not already in the iTunes folder. When you open the iTunes Music subfolder, you should see nestled folders containing the MP3, AAC and other digital audio files you have been using.

Once you are sure you have all the music files in the folder, you can drag it to your new location for use with a different desktop jukebox program, media-server software like Plex, or an online music locker like Google Play Music Manager or Amazon Music.

Keep in mind that any iTunes files that were purchased with copyright protection built in may not play in a different program, but tracks you ripped from your own compact discs or purchased without copy restrictions should be fine as long as they are compatible with your new software.

====================================================================
As for playing them on your PC download A FREE program called Music Bee, it's one of the best out there.
Regular play, Shuffle play, Genre, Album, Length, you name it. It also has an equalizer built in.

Genuinely this:

Rare retro Creative MuVo V100 black ( 2 GB ) Digital Media Player/mp3 | eBay

Ignore the price, this is down to them not being available to buy anymore.

I bought one of these in 2004 (a smaller version before I upgraded to the 2gb one). .
2 gig....(sniggers)....2 gig....(sniggers again) You must hear the same song every 45 minutes :)

I need two 32g sticks just to hold my playlist songs. Easy, Easy & Easy Rock, Oldies, Classic Rock, Blues, (proper) R&B, Dance, and songs tagged Brilliant of which there are NOT too few to mention.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
2 gig....(sniggers)....2 gig....(sniggers again) You must hear the same song every 45 minutes :)

I need two 32g sticks just to hold my playlist songs. Easy, Easy & Easy Rock, Oldies, Classic Rock, Blues, (proper) R&B, Dance, and songs tagged Brilliant of which there are NOT too few to mention.
Hah, no. It's every 36 minutes. :D

I ripped all my songs myself and did it at a far lower bitrate. Sounds just as good - nothing you'd notice through cheap in-ear earphones.

I've got a good few hundred on, plenty, and I rotate folders as needed.

Just pop a 256 gig memory card in your phone, and you can store enough MP's to keep you going on the one device you'll take anywhere

I have a subscription to Spotify. No adverts. Download music, plays offline. Log in on any any compatible machine and play my music. Foo fighters, The Hu, Bloodywood, Slayer too Darius Rucker, Iris DeMent, Laura cantrall its all there. And any type of play list you could wish for.

SK

Just pop a 256 gig memory card in your phone, and you can store enough MP's to keep you going on the one device you'll take anywhere
Do they work OK in phones, my Samsung suggests 64g max?

I have a subscription to Spotify. No adverts. Download music, plays offline. Log in on any any compatible machine and play my music. Foo fighters, The Hu, Bloodywood, Slayer too Darius Rucker, Iris DeMent, Laura cantrall its all there. And any type of play list you could wish for.SK
Spotify is great, I have a paid account as well, but any lists you save are only there as long as you have a valid account, it's only a link that is saved not the full song. If I really like the tune I go find it somewhere else and grab a proper download.

Incidentally, if you ever watch a TV series and think, that's a great song i wouldn't mind grabbing that. There is a site called Tunefind, that has a massive list of TV series that list by Series & Episode the songs (not all tbh) that were played during that episode. It even gives you a brief 20 second clip to check if that is the one you were thinking of.
I now have hundreds of great songs that I cannot remember the artist's name when people ask me.

... how do I preserve the library of music amassed ...
Buy second hand CDs off of Amazon, burn it on to your PC in windows media player, re-sell the CDs for a few pence more on. (Grab a decent hard drive to back it up on.

...alternatively buy a portable hard drive and hand it round all you mates and get them to throw a fukcload of music files on for you.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
**cough** soulseek **cough**

if you can't find it on there chances are it's not been released.

Thanks for the pointers,I have now delegated this task to my Brother,he has fingers an’ stuff whereas my speech commands are a bit lacking ,missing track s appear to be an apple store issue,Cnuts.
Suggestions still welcome so I can still appear to be knowledgeable on this subject

Update, all music that was with a**le has been moved to a seperate hard drive, Mediamonkey is installed and works excellently with all the portable devices.
Now just who to purchase music from that (reading the small print ) one can keep/use off line and use on more than one device been reading varoius t&c's all afternoon.
I have sent an e-mail to i Tuns about missing tracks from downloads with day/date/time and invoice numbers of each inccident of a missing track, I fully expect i Tuns to give it the stiff ignoring they a re renown for , but it made me feel a bit better

Do they work OK in phones, my Samsung suggests 64g max?

Spotify is great, I have a paid account as well, but any lists you save are only there as long as you have a valid account, it's only a link that is saved not the full song. If I really like the tune I go find it somewhere else and grab a proper download.

Incidentally, if you ever watch a TV series and think, that's a great song i wouldn't mind grabbing that. There is a site called Tunefind, that has a massive list of TV series that list by Series & Episode the songs (not all tbh) that were played during that episode. It even gives you a brief 20 second clip to check if that is the one you were thinking of.
I now have hundreds of great songs that I cannot remember the artist's name when people ask me.
Depends on the phone, they all have different limits but I've used it in Sony and Samsung phones ok

Ironically probably one of the better devices to use is a Sony Walkman, will play high quality recordings as well as MP3's, sound quality is top notch, but it's the modern equivalent to an iPod, and not a phone

Update, all music that was with a**le has been moved to a seperate hard drive, Mediamonkey is installed and works excellently with all the portable devices.
Now just who to purchase music from that (reading the small print ) one can keep/use off line and use on more than one device been reading varoius t&c's all afternoon.
I have sent an e-mail to i Tuns about missing tracks from downloads with day/date/time and invoice numbers of each inccident of a missing track, I fully expect i Tuns to give it the stiff ignoring they a re renown for , but it made me feel a bit better
What sort of tunes are you missing? Maybe the Arrse collective can provide you with your missing tracks?

I use Amazon - download it; copy it to a hard drive - keeps no dramas. Works on a ll formats - never had any problems. (From Amazon at least; I've bugger knuckled it up loads but had the copies so all is good.)

What sort of tunes are you missing? Maybe the Arrse collective can provide you with your missing tracks?

I use Amazon - download it; copy it to a hard drive - keeps no dramas. Works on a ll formats - never had any problems. (From Amazon at least; I've bugger knuckled it up loads but had the copies so all is good.)
I have replaced many through various means, I am down to just one track, 79 pence I suppose to complete the album