I think Officer Recruitment could be improved.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by The_End, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been through the RN and Army recruitment processes and one aspect of RN recruitment that I believe the Army should adopt is the order in which the intelligence test is taken.

In the RN is it right after the application form and if you fail you don't get any further, while with the Army I think that they could save people time and distress if it was the same.

Your application can be months old and you could have been and several fam visit before you travel to Westbury and be told that you are not clever enough.

Seems that if you took the test very early it would be a more efficient process ie more places at Westbury and fairer on those less intelligent among us.

Thoughts?

2. Altho i havent taken either of the intelligence tests (I'm only planning on taking the army one) i am of the opinion that maybe the intelligence test being taken so far into the process could be helpful in that with the familiarisation visits and such taking place beforehand, those that decide that a career in the army may not be for them after the visits can drop out before costing the army money to invite them down to westbury for the selection board?

i could be completly wrong and am willing to accept it straight away. just my opinion being voiced :)

3. You probably bore for England, and will spend the next ten years of your life telling your fellow council-workers how you 'passed' all of the tests but the Army were too suspicious of your high scores to let you in. So you joined the SBS instead, and you're working undercover right now.

Edit: Fuck me, there's two of them...

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

You crying, wee one?

You expecting sympathy? Cause you aren't getting any.

I had a friend that didn't meet the academic criteria before he went to Westbury. He was both a character and a natural leader and proved so in the time he served with the Army.

He passed RCB and then was sent off to get the academic quals to allow him to progress to RMAS.

That you didn't meet the challenge is obvious.

What else is there to say?

Oh yes - tough, thicky.

5. I passed the tests but that was not the point I was trying to make. It was a general observation and how I believe it could be improved.

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In some senses you might be right, however, by running the whole gammut of tests in the 2-3 days you're at Westbury adds pressure to the whole interview process and allows the assessors to make a more qualified assessment on your abilities and character. It is the controlled intensity that highlights your strengths and weaknesses.

Nonetheless I know officers who would by their own admission never made it had it not been for the now defunct Rowallan Course. Ending that course for financial reasons was, I believe idiocy, as it has prevented many Potential Officers preparing for their AOSB, especially those who may not have had previous experience of the military through the OTC or Cadets.

I think they should make it standard procedure for all PO applicants to attend courses like the TA Summer Challenge, which would be of huge benefit to all and sundry, especially as it contains a specific POs course (After all completing the Summer Challenge does not behold you to join the TA or Regulars)

Plus you get paid for it. Bonus

Edited to add: stop whining and try again.

7. I think this is a fair point, however the real pressure is at the Main Board. Tests bring thier own pressure, which is quite different from everything else you do and are not directly supervised.

I got cat 1, it was a genuine observation.

8. rampant

Well in that case, good luck to ya m'boy.

9. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

The initial testing you talk about for us Matelots is the Ratings Entry test. If you achieve a certain score you can go through to the next Officer filter.

AIB remains the three day testing period before selection to BRNC.

10. Methinks you may be slightly confused. From what I remember RoCo was a course for those that didn't do well enough on RCB (as was - now AOSB) to go straight onto the commissioning course(s). Instead they spent a few months being beasted (developed) prior to joining the main course. So it never was a preparation for AOSB. Some branches of the Army did run the kind of preparation courses to which you refer - PODC for one and the Household Division ran something called Brigade Squad. We had some really good guys in my platoon at RMAS who had been through RoCo as well as plenty of nuggets that hadn't.

As far as the original post goes, there may be some merit in filtering out complete no-hopers early but surely this should be done before they even get to the AOSB stage?

12. rampant

You might be right, but I do remember people who did RoCo before their second stab at the RCB (AOSB). The PODC was & still is run for ORs & JNCOs prior to their attending the RCB, not for non-service applicants.

Edited to add: after something more thinking, and a quick phonecall, I believe RoCo was offered after the RCB briefing prior to RCB Proper. Istill stand by my point to send PO applicants on the Summer Challenge though.

13. With the spelling, punctuation, grammar & the ability to set out a coherent argument displayed in that post I don't think you'll need to worry about what result you get in the aptitude tests.

Please don't tell me you're at University.

14. Guns - RN Officer candidates now sit the same Psychometric Test as the Ratings - this has been the case for about 8 months.

The AIB happens after that (and the sift interview).

15. It wasn't an arguement at all, otherwise I would have looked at both sides of the arguement, and come to a well supported conclusion. Which I didn't I was merely saying what I thought was a possible explanation. Admittedly I only have a very limited knowledge of the process, seen as I have only just stepped onto the ladder and have a long way to go, but even so the topic was up for debate and I posted a reply that I thought held some valid reasoning. Those that don't see the army for how it really is, may not want to continue on the process once they have had a familiarisation visit.

And yes I am at University.