I think Iknow the answer but need

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
to check with the troops to see if i ma correct.
I have a six year old sony bravia tv wireless bluetooth the lot . My internet connect to it is via a WAN.
the internet keeps dropping and wont reconnect .
i have confirmed dns settings etc etc all match as per.
my mobile ,my pod , my PC and lap top and my tablet are all working connected to the internet.

Sony Bravia does have known problems accepting apps. its very finicky.

I Believe that if I use a connected freeview box-that i should be able to run apps to my tv via that . even though the tv has freeview built in and has the correct updated software package .
Is my solution right or do I need to look elsewhere ?

The lan runs via plug sockets and my electric ring main and all the wee lights are flashing in the right way so I am deducing the Lan is ok .

Other neighbours have had very similar issues but theirs cleared up when they change ISP to talktalk, which im already on . Also I have a wifi signal booster in my lounge which sends my wifi up to the end of my garden .

Am I on the right track folks can you help please ?
many thanks .

And you are expecting some sensible advice at this time of night, right. Hic...

You need to look elsewhere!

Also I have a wify signal booster in my lounge which sends my wife up to the end of my garden with a bent up coat hangar.
Fixed that for you. Anything else I can help with?

Google how much is my TV worth and fill the form in. When you see that your Sony Bravia is worth Jack shit, which is exactly what my 6 year old Samsung Smart HD TV is worth, you know its time to invest in a 4K UHD BFO Tele, which is what I'm doing.

Have you tried banging on the top of the telly with a clenched fist?

BopBopBop

War Hero
I have a six year old sony bravia tv wireless bluetooth the lot . My internet connect to it is via a WAN.
my mobile ,my pod , my PC and lap top and my tablet are all working connected to the internet.

I Believe that if I use a connected freeview box-that i should be able to run apps to my tv via that . even though the tv has freeview built in and has the correct updated software package .

The lan runs via plug sockets and my electric ring main and all the wee lights are flashing in the right way so I am deducing the Lan is ok .

Other neighbours have had very similar issues but theirs cleared up when they change ISP to talktalk, which im already on . Also I have a wifi signal booster in my lounge which sends my wifi up to the end of my garden .

many thanks .
Sorry, got no idea how to fix your LAN but can't you just unplug it and use the TV's wifi?

You can connect a freeview box or amazon firestick to use their apps on your TV but they will need an internet connection to function.

I have an early smart tv that needs a dongle, it doesn’t work, largely due to the tv software being outdated. I’ll change it eventually, but I’ve got BT TV hooked up to it that provides the online services I need.

Have you recently replaced your WiFi router or WiFi extender? If you did, is that just about when your issues started? If so, get into your router config and disable the 5GHz band of channels. Your 6 year old TV works on 2.4GHz anyway and so will all your mobile devices.

I had a very similar problem with a couple of devices in my house, including interference on the kitchen TV picture. Disabled the 5GHz band and everything went back to the way it should be. Dunno why that is the case as there is massive separation between the bands; probably something to do with the router's (Or WiFi extender's) inability to radiate sufficient power when operating on both bands at the same time.

Try it!

many thanks .
The problem here as I see it is that you are trying to figure it all out. You need to stop as this is what kids, grandkids and the neighbour kids are for.

many thanks .
Just beware that a lot of freeview boxes get obselete eventually, can't update their apps so Sky, Netflix etc eventually won't run

For running apps get a dedicated android box and learn how to update it yourself, it will be usable far longer

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
getting new telly and android box .
many thanks for the help troops.

Latest Threads